Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

Took him 28 pitches to get through the 6th. A walk, 2 hits, 2 runs and a homer.

He did K 2, including Dalbec to end the inning.

11 Ks, 2 bbs, 2 runs, 2 hits, 1 homer.

96 pitches and his str% was 67.7%.

He missed a total of 19 bats for a 29% swingstr%.

Impressive day overall but it started and ended with a bit of a struggle. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Think we need to see him really dominate (some 7 IP 0 ER outing) before we start thinking about bringing him back again. 

Grayson has been allowed to go seven innings twice in his career, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that. The past three starts have been six innings, so I would think that's the ask.

Just now, Alasdaire said:

Grayson has been allowed to go seven innings twice in his career, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that. The past three starts have been six innings, so I would think that's the ask.

Especially given the innings limit that he's undoubtedly operating under this year.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

Well they let him go 96 pitches today. I'd like to see a dominant, efficient start of 7 IP with those 96 pitches, I guess, is my point. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Flash- bd said:

Well they let him go 96 pitches today. I'd like to see a dominant, efficient start of 7 IP with those 96 pitches, I guess, is my point. 

I wouldn’t feel the need to wait for a start quote that dominant to recall him.  But, like I said, let’s see how Irvin does.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t feel the need to wait for a start quote that dominant to recall him.  But, like I said, let’s see how Irvin does.  

Yeah, no doubt, poor performance from Irvin could force our hand, but still, ideally I'd like to see some real dominance before bringing him back up...if Zimmerman can throw a CGSO surely Grayson if he puts together an outing where he commands his stuff--which is what he needs to do to have success at the ML level after all--can do 7 shut out innings in under 100 pitches. And surely we should be asking for that type of performance from a pitcher of his talent and now relative experience level? 

2 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Yeah, no doubt, poor performance from Irvin could force our hand, but still, ideally I'd like to see some real dominance before bringing him back up...if Zimmerman can throw a CGSO surely Grayson if he puts together an outing where he commands his stuff--which is what he needs to do to have success at the ML level after all--can do 7 shut out innings in under 100 pitches. And surely we should be asking for that type of performance from a pitcher of his talent and now relative experience level? 

I am more interested in his command than his stat line.  Is he getting ahead?  Is he locating his breaking stuff?   Is he getting his two-strike pitches in good locations?   Those were things he wasn’t doing in Baltimore.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am more interested in his command than his stat line.  Is he getting ahead?  Is he locating his breaking stuff?   Is he getting his two-strike pitches in good locations?   Those were things he wasn’t doing in Baltimore.  

Correct. 

I don’t care if he’s getting AAA guys to swing and miss. He’s done that all along. 

He got sent down to work on command. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Correct. 

I don’t care if he’s getting AAA guys to swing and miss. He’s done that all along. 

He got sent down to work on command. 

Yeah, I get that Kevin Brown's job is to be the hype man when Grayson's AAA stats get flashed during a game, but I was hoping we'd get some solid discussion after that on what the Orioles are trying to accomplish with the demotion. Command, etc. Then again, Dave Johnson is just a fill-in on color, so he might not really be the best guy to talk about it anyway.

9 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Yeah, I get that Kevin Brown's job is to be the hype man when Grayson's AAA stats get flashed during a game, but I was hoping we'd get some solid discussion after that on what the Orioles are trying to accomplish with the demotion. Command, etc. Then again, Dave Johnson is just a fill-in on color, so he might not really be the best guy to talk about it anyway.

Grayson just needs to attack hitters instead of just nibbling. He needs to fill the strike zone. Im a little discouraged by his HR allowed and 2 Walks today.

28 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Grayson just needs to attack hitters instead of just nibbling. He needs to fill the strike zone. Im a little discouraged by his HR allowed and 2 Walks today.

He got plenty of strikes today.  Were they quality strikes?  No way to know.  

• Upvote 1