Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think the question is   "Is he better now than Irvin?"

No, that’s not the question.

All of the questions are about him, not Irvin or anyone else.

GRod is a major part of the future. They need to make sure he is in the right place physically, mechanically and mentally.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, that’s not the question.

All of the questions about him, not Irvin or anyone else.

GRod is a major part of the future. They need to make sure he is in the right place physically, mechanically and mentally.

Far as I can tell GRod is fine physically.   He should be ready mentally after 5 starts at AAA with a 4-0 record and a 2.22.   He is probably wondering when he will get the call.   I don't have the insight in to his mechanicals.    But if the are good enough to pitch in the majors the next question is:

Is he better than Irvin?   The O's are in a pennant race.    Whoever helps them the most should be pitching in the majors.   

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Far as I can tell GRod is fine physically.   He should be ready mentally after 5 starts at AAA with a 4-0 record and a 2.22.   He is probably wondering when he will get the call.   I don't have the insight in to his mechanicals.    But if the are good enough to pitch in the majors the next question is:

Is he better than Irvin?   The O's are in a pennant race.    Whoever helps them the most should be pitching in the majors.   

If he comes up and gets shelled again then he would not be fine mentally. So the next question is whether 5 starts with good results is enough to predict he will do well in MLB. That depends if they think he has fixed the things he needs to fix. 5 starts with good results is not in itself enough. For example, he actually has a higher BB rate than he did in his MLB stint. He has lower HR rate but that could be a reflection of the AAA hitters. I have a feeling Elias and crew will want to see more before throwing him back in the fire. 

It will be interesting to see if his year ends up anything like 2014 Gausman - it was 20 MLB starts as the next big thing, but then a middle reliever in the playoffs, logging 8 innings in 3 appearances.

For all the bad, he's also already contributed to wins at Tampa and Toronto.     Its also interesting the contrast with Kyle Gibson.    Gibson is about as steady Eddie as a MLB SP can get...Grayson is not.    I think Gibson is better protected than Cole Irvin from the quick hook of April, but another couple clunkers and you never know.

I do believe come September we will probably have something of an amoeba pitching staff as the best pitchers near their limits get rationed.     TBD if the Club will stay hot enough for some of September to be a mini-Spring Training.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He has always put up good triple A numbers, so that doesn’t prove anything mentally. 

It’s what Tony talked about..stopping the big inning. He has had issues with that. It’s more of a maturity thing. We don’t know if that’s better.

Maybe it is but just because the numbers are there, doesn’t mean you bring him up because he’s better than Irvin. It’s all about him, not the team, at this moment.

At ML his starts were not all bad. I don't think he will be a particulaly effective starter for O's, but I also don't think he'll fix himself at AAA.

If the O's staff keeps going like it is they will not have a choice and will have to give him another shot.

The real question what does Elias trade for? Need a starter and reliever at minimum

The development, or lack thereof, of Grayson Rodriguez may be one of the most significant and defining aspects of Chris Holt's tenure with the Orioles. I'll be fascinated to see what the O's do with this young man. Getting significant Jake Arrieta vibes with this one....hope I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

The development, or lack thereof, of Grayson Rodriguez may be one of the most significant and defining aspects of Chris Holt's tenure with the Orioles. I'll be fascinated to see what the O's do with this young man. Getting significant Jake Arrieta vibes with this one....hope I'm wrong.

They've done better by Grayson than they have Hall.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We have to acknowledge that the things that lead to success at AAA are not equivalent to what leads to sustainable success at the big league level. His AAA ERA is irrelevant to me. If he has not fixed his problematic commas issues, the bad results will remain the same for him when he arrives back here again.