Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

28 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

The development, or lack thereof, of Grayson Rodriguez may be one of the most significant and defining aspects of Chris Holt's tenure with the Orioles. I'll be fascinated to see what the O's do with this young man. Getting significant Jake Arrieta vibes with this one....hope I'm wrong.

Are we really already at this level of “The Sky is Falling?”

The kid’s first look wasn’t great. They’re working on it. Yeesh.

41 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It will be interesting to see if his year ends up anything like 2014 Gausman - it was 20 MLB starts as the next big thing, but then a middle reliever in the playoffs, logging 8 innings in 3 appearances.

For all the bad, he's also already contributed to wins at Tampa and Toronto.     Its also interesting the contrast with Kyle Gibson.    Gibson is about as steady Eddie as a MLB SP can get...Grayson is not.    I think Gibson is better protected than Cole Irvin from the quick hook of April, but another couple clunkers and you never know.

I do believe come September we will probably have something of an amoeba pitching staff as the best pitchers near their limits get rationed.     TBD if the Club will stay hot enough for some of September to be a mini-Spring Training.

If Grayson can’t command his pitches how does putting him in the bullpen help anything. It’s not like Grayson’s problem were fatigue related and limited to innings 4-6 or after he had thrown a certain amount of pitches. He had LOTS of trouble in the 1st inning of his starts. As a matter of fact, he had VERY FEW clean first innings. (maybe 1?)

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

Are we really already at this level of “The Sky is Falling?”

The kid’s first look wasn’t great. They’re working on it. Yeesh.

I think it's concerning that they were basically handed two top 100 pitching prospects when they took over and five years later they are both still in the minors.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's concerning that they were basically handed two top 100 pitching prospects when they took over and five years later they are both still in the minors.

I think  it's encouraging they have found and acquired Wells, Bradish, and Kremer.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think  it's encouraging they have found and acquired Wells, Bradish, and Kremer.

Both can be true. We have gotten some good value/results out of mid to back end rotation guys. But we have not been able to develop any top end/front of the rotation starting pitching for 5 years.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Everyone is always fixated on K's, swing and miss stuff.

Well he had that even at the ML level

I think his control will come and he will be good, just maybe not this year

Honestly, he had 11.1 K/9 and it could have been even higher.  The guy faced 211 batters and got to two strikes on 131 of them.   That’s an incredible ratio.  The average pitcher gets to a two-strike count on 53% of the batters he faces; Grayson was doing it 63% of the time.  Yet, batters hit .275/.325/.600 off him with two strikes, and Grayson’s ratio of strikeouts to two-strike counts was only 43%, which is league average.  So, he could be much better at finishing off hitters once he gets to two strikes.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Neither of them were top 100 when they arrived.  Here is the Baseball America list from 2019.  2019 Top 100 MLB Prospects (baseballamerica.com)  Hall is 90th on the MLB Pipeline list from that same year.  2019 Top 100 MLB Prospects list.  Also note the only pitchers in the top 20 of BA were Nate Pearson, Casey Mize, Jesus Luzardo, Brendan McKay, Forrest Whitley, Dustin May, Matt Manning, and Sixto Sanchez.  None of them are exactly setting the world on fire.  The same can be said of MLB Pipeline's pitchers in the top 20.  

So, it's hard to know how much of Hall and G-Rod's ranking is due to the development team of the Orioles.  Moreover, pitching development is hard.

THIS IS WRONG.  I screwed up, Grayson was on the BA list in 2019.  He was 45 and Hall was 35.  I did a quick search and the list wasn't expanded. 

Edited by baltfan
Screwed up.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Neither of them were top 100 when they arrived.  Here is the Baseball America list from 2019.  2019 Top 100 MLB Prospects (baseballamerica.com)  Hall is 90th on the MLB Pipeline list from that same year.  2019 Top 100 MLB Prospects list.  Also note the only pitchers in the top 20 of BA were Nate Pearson, Casey Mize, Jesus Luzardo, Brendan McKay, Forrest Whitley, Dustin May, Matt Manning, and Sixto Sanchez.  None of them are exactly setting the world on fire.  The same can be said of MLB Pipeline's pitchers in the top 20.  

So, it's hard to know how much of Hall and G-Rod's ranking is due to the development team of the Orioles.  Moreover, pitching development is hard.

That would be why I said basically.  I don't think many HS pitchers make it onto the top 100 list months after being drafted.

They were handed two highly talented former HS pitchers that were taken in the first round.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That would be why I said basically.  I don't think many HS pitchers make it onto the top 100 list months after being drafted.

They were handed two highly talented former HS pitchers that were taken in the first round.

Grayson was the 11th pick in the 2018 draft.  Lots of times those players, even high school pitchers, are ranked the next year.  DL Hall was drafted in 2017.  That means there were two years for a guy with a first round pedigree to get on the list.  

Anyhow, it's really early to be concerned especially given the success with Wells, Kramer, and Bradish.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I screwed up, Grayson was on the BA list in 2019.  He was 45 and Hall was 35.  I did a search but not everyone was up. Sorry.

• Like 1

For Grayson it is almost impossible without watching to know if he should be back.  His command was such that MLB players knew he couldn't throw his secondaries for strikes consistently.  When he did, he had great starts.  When he couldn't they sat on his fastball, and he often left that out over the plate.  We are going to have to trust Elias and Co. 

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Everyone is always fixated on K's, swing and miss stuff.

Well he had that even at the ML level

I think his control will come and he will be good, just maybe not this year

I don't think that his problem is "control" at all. He doesn't walk a ton of batters. His problem is the command of his pitches within the strike zone. Far too often, he seemed to throw uncompetitive pitches in favorable pitchers counts that weren't even enticing to the batter, thus allowing him back into the count. And then he threw WAY WAY TOO MANY middle middle center cut pitches. That's why the home run rate was so ridiculously bad. I hope that he has learned or will learn before he is ever brought back up again, that you can't throw those type of pitches on a regular basis and succeed at the big league level. I can still see that MAMMOTH blast that Ohtani hit off of him. That was a blast! And then the Rangers had an absolute T-ball of a time batting off of him. Please no more of that!

• Upvote 1