Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

On 6/29/2023 at 8:30 PM, bpilktree said:

The Astros pitching came mostly from young international signing guys and most of them were not the top prospects but guys they seemed to like more then other teams.  I think Elias is trying to do the same thing here but it is still very early in that part because most those guys have connections a year or two in advance before they even sign at 16-17.  It will be interesting to see in a year or two if we start seeing some of those type of guys come to the states and start working their way up our minor leagues.  

I hope you're right, and it's unfortunate it's not moving faster along if that's the case.  I think the Orioles didn't even really sign and develop Caribbean players until under Elias, correct?  

Just using last season's WS winning Astros as an example, four of their main starting pitchers were signed as teenagers out of Dominican Republic, Venezuela and Mexico: Framber Valdez, Cristian Javier, Luis Garcia and Jose Urquidy.  So maybe the Astros have been as exceptionally lucky with pitchers from Latin America as they have been unlucky with pitchers in the draft.  

All these years the Orioles have done so little south of the border, and yet it's been the difference maker for the best team of the past 6 or so seasons.  I hope you're right the O's are working hard down there now.

Just now, EddeeEddee said:

I hope you're right, and it's unfortunate it's not moving faster along if that's the case.  I think the Orioles didn't even really sign and develop Caribbean players until under Elias, correct?  

Just using last season's WS winning Astros as an example, four of their main starting pitchers were signed as teenagers out of Dominican Republic, Venezuela and Mexico: Framber Valdez, Cristian Javier, Luis Garcia and Jose Urquidy.  So maybe the Astros have been as exceptionally lucky with pitchers from Latin America as they have been unlucky with pitchers in the draft.  

All these years the Orioles have done so little south of the border, and yet it's been the difference maker for the best team of the past 6 or so seasons.  I hope you're right the O's are working hard down there now.

Incorrect.

Curacao is in the Caribbean.

See?

Location-Caribbean-Area.png

O's scouted and signed a number of successful ML players out of Curacao.

7 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

This group, the fact that it was four of them and none of them were highly touted, suggests it was skill and not luck.

It also makes me wonder stuff like whether Kyle Bradish is just better than Grayson Rodriguez, and if the SigBot has considered that a given since 2019.     I write that still hoping Grayson will be some kind of good even if missing some of the secret sauce attributes of hand chosen pitchers.

Also, don't read the above as automatically crediting Elias or Sig for those Framber group finds - the people mainly responsible could have been those who are still in Houston, or went to Atlanta.    From Drellich's book, I believe Elias and Sig were probably both within a circle of the top 5-10 baseball operations leaders around the time HOU got those guys signed though.

The principle one is a fluke and two is a trend is a friendly one now, looking at stuff like Mayo following Gunnar, and Cano following Felix.      Because myocarditis, I'm not sure who is following who out of Cowser and Kjerstad.

Edited by Just Regular

Grayson is dealing tonight.  Making all the pitches.  8ks 0bbs through 4. 

Edit: 10 ks through 5 on 73 pitches.  2 H 0 BB 

Edit: 12K through 6 on 91 pitches.  Imagine he’s done now.  

Absolutely fabulous performance.   

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

On 7/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Incorrect.

Curacao is in the Caribbean.

See?

Location-Caribbean-Area.png

O's scouted and signed a number of successful ML players out of Curacao.

By last count, 16 Curacaoans have played in MLB. About 150,000 people currently live there, which makes for a nutty conversion rate. They made a short film about it:

https://youtu.be/oq-Oj2RmVDc

• Thanks 1

What a great performance tonight. Durham broadcasters all caught up trying to figure out how the Bulls could get to him since he was so locked in.

Threw 92 pitches over 6 innings, 3H, 12K, 0BB.

Was still throwing 98 at the end and the third hit was some kind of miracle where it was a pitch basically in the dirt hit thru the 3-4 hole, what they call a worm-burner I think, shooting across the turf. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, banks703 said:

It won’t shock me to see him recalled after the break. Who he replaces is the question. 

I think if Irvin has a bad start before the break, he could well lose his spot in the rotation to Rodriguez. His 1 run in 5 innings vs the Twins was a Houdini act, and his other starts have not ended well. The question there might be whether Irvin holds on to a long relief spot and Zimmerman or someone else goes back to Norfolk.  The way Rodriguez is pitching now, I think you have to make the move soon to bolster the Baltimore rotation.

38 minutes ago, banks703 said:

It won’t shock me to see him recalled after the break. Who he replaces is the question. 

Yes, hopefully this is his minor league swan song.  I would assume Irvin goes down or to the pen but if Kremer gets lit up again it could get interesting.

Not that either of them will lose their place in the rotation but I think that both Gibson and Kremer should be pitching for their spot(s). Irvin is a given and probably the most likely to be swapped but all three of them could be subbed out for GrayRod when he returns. 

I hope the Cowser move tonight puts the entire roster on notice. 

4 minutes ago, TheWall said:

This definitely seems like the sort of performance that could trigger a promotion. Maybe they want to see one more good one from him, but I hope they make the move now. 

Earliest he could pitch would be Sunday and don't see the Orioles bringing him up before  the break baring an injury 

Edited by Going Underground