Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

He got nickle and dimed with weakly hit singles. The walks were regrettable but this was a fine outing for me overall. Two of the inherited runs were given up by McSweeney. Grayson would have had a better chance of getting out of it himself if not for the pitch count.

Edited by interloper

John Meoli’s take, from the part of his blog not behind a paywall:

“There’s no other way to check that box when it comes to writing about the Orioles at this point in the spring than going to Sarasota, so that’s what I did, and so far it’s been quite worth it.

“That was especially true on Sunday, when Grayson Rodriguez faced a lineup of Boston’s backups and prospects and in the span of one tough inning might have created an inflection point in their spring.

“Up until this point in his spring, and in particular with his three dominant innings that preceded his fourth-inning struggles, Rodriguez had done exactly what he had to in order to ensure his place in the Opening Day rotation: simply leave no opening for them to go in a different direction.

“As his fourth got away from him a bit, I couldn’t help but wonder if that had changed...”

https://jonmeoli.substack.com/p/grayson-rodriguezs-spring-speed-bump?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

I don’t know if Grayson is going to make the OD roster or not (though I suspect he will) but if he doesn’t, it won’t be because of one bad inning. Speculation otherwise is just overreacting. Was he supposed to not walk anyone or give up any runs all spring?  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

I don’t know if Grayson is going to make the OD roster or not (though I suspect he will) but if he doesn’t, it won’t be because of one bad inning. Speculation otherwise is just overreacting. Was he supposed to not walk anyone or give up any runs all spring?  

Absolutely correct.  Grayson  will have several more spring starts.

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2023 at 8:57 AM, Fiver6565 said:

Yeah, one inning is not going to give the Orioles pause. Such a strange take.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 7:42 AM, IPlayGM said:

If this thread gets more that one page to it there are gonna be a lot of upset O’s fans, myself included.

Well, prepare for a lot of upset O’s fans, then?   But I don’t think too many people will be upset, considering how Grayson pitched this spring.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, prepare for a lot of upset O’s fans, then?   But I don’t think too many people will be upset, considering how Grayson pitched this spring.  

I don't think most of the fanbase is engaged enough to get angry.

I'm not angry about it, I don't expect better from them.

Would be like getting angry with a puppy for having an accident on the carpet, it can't control itself.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Im not upset. I want the best 5 starting and GR presently isnt among them. 

He'll get his chance.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think most of the fanbase is engaged enough to get angry.

I'm not angry about it, I don't expect better from them.

Would be like getting angry with a puppy for having an accident on the carpet, it can't control itself.

I think if Grayson had pitched well this spring and they had sent him down anyway, a lot of people would have been upset.  But he didn’t, so they aren’t.