Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

I think in just one start we'll know if we have the same Grayson Rodriguez. That 10 start stint easily has to be the biggest disappointment of the year. I never once saw "it" with Grayson. Yeah he dominated that AAA lineup Detroit has to offer. A couple 5 inning, 2 run performances with lots of hard contact and base-runners for a "good start". I saw "it" with Bradish in his 3rd MLB start. Lots of rookies struggle, but not all in that manner, and the hope for a prospect of that status was that he would be different. I'm holding out hope his oblique injury last year messed something up and can be blamed partially.

It doesn't sound like he'll have a long leash. Perform...or get off my team. It's a pennant race.

Being 1 game out and with the 2nd best record in the AL I have to admit I have less patience than usual. Rodriguez really needs to give this team a competitive start otherwise hes shooting us in the back. Not like hes trying to get shelled. But non competitive starts are not acceptable. Its win now. Not win later. 

I’m going tonight and am very interested to see how Grayson looks compared to earlier this season.  I’ve been to 6 games this year (6-0 by the way), and I think Grayson pitched in 3 of them, plus I saw him once in spring training.   His command was not nearly as sharp as when I saw him previously in the minors.   Watching his progression in Norfolk since being sent down, I’m somewhat optimistic that he’s sharpened things up.  But you never know until he does it on a major league mound.  Tough test against a good Dodgers lineup and, as SG noted, he’s only pitched 3 innings in the last two weeks or so, so it could take him a bit to find his groove.  Crossing my fingers!

After seeing how poorly our fielders played last night with their bad defense, I looked at the game log to see what Grayson's BABIP from the game was. It was a whopping .438! By contrast, Grayson normal BABIP should be in the ballpark around .308. Just shows how incredibly unlucky he got last night before got tired. The defense has to do better than that for our pitching staff.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

After seeing how poorly our fielders played last night with their bad defense, I looked at the game log to see what Grayson's BABIP from the game was. It was a whopping .438! By contrast, Grayson normal BABIP should be in the ballpark around .308. Just shows how incredibly unlucky he got last night before got tired. The defense has to do better than that for our pitching staff.

I agree. The defense was not good at all. But after watching O’Hearn closely last night (I was seated right along 1B) he is not a good defensive 1B, his movements are very uncoordinated/un-athletic. He does not have good foot work or glovework IMO. And Frazier is much more liability with the glove than an asset. He has really lost some first step quickness and he has a poor arm. That’s a really bad right side of the infield defensively.

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree. The defense was not good at all. But after watching O’Hearn closely last night (I was seated right along 1B) he is not a good defensive 1B, his movements are very uncoordinated/un-athletic. He does not have good foot work or glovework IMO. And Frazier is much more liability with the glove than an asset. He has really lost some first step quickness and he has a poor arm. That’s a really bad right side of the infield defensively.

O’Hearn seems to have poor instincts on when to chase a ball in the 2B hole and when to defer to the second baseman.  I was seated near 1B last night, and first there was a grounder in the hole that I thought O’Hearn would get, but he didn’t pursue it and it was too far for Frazier to reach.   Then later, there was a grounder that was clearly Frazier’s ball, but O’Hearn made a move towards it and then barely had time to retreat back to 1B in time to take a throw before the runner arrived.   He also dropped a pretty easy one-hop throw and was barely able to get it back in his glove in time to beat the runner.  In fact, the ump called the runner safe but it was reversed on replay on a very close call.   

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The O's are paying the price on defense for having a 5 run offense.    Hicks and Frazier hit better than  players that would give the team a better defense.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

O’Hearn seems to have poor instincts on when to chase a ball in the 2B hole and when to defer to the second baseman.  I was seated near 1B last night, and first there was a grounder in the hole that I thought O’Hearn would get, but he didn’t pursue it and it was too far for Frazier to reach.   Then later, there was a grounder that was clearly Frazier’s ball, but O’Hearn made a move towards it and then barely had time to retreat back to 1B in time to take a throw before the runner arrived.   He also dropped a pretty easy one-hop throw and was barely able to get it back in his glove in time to beat the runner.  In fact, the ump called the runner safe but it was reversed on replay on a very close call.   

Do you want a slick fielding 1B  or do you want O'Hearn with a 894 OPS vs righties?   And don't say both because the O's don't have that guy.  The O's have decided they want the guy with the bat.

Edited by wildcard