Grayson Rodriguez 2023

Just Regular

Hard to get angry about a guy getting sent down when he can't get through 5IP in spring training, and kept having blow up innings. While other options pitched well. Orioles gave him every chance, he wasn't anywhere near his best. Hope he comes out and proves everyone wrong at Norfolk

So now we get to see what they do with him at AAA.

How many innings does he get?

Does he start on their opening day or farther down the rotation?

Is he the first call up if there is an injury?

Do they have him throw a predominance of breaking stuff to sort that issue out? 

I'll be fascinated to follow this guy early in the year. Actions speak louder than words. How he is treated at Norfolk should clarify exactly why he was sent down.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How long is this for? If he struggles, I imagine he is right back down and Watkins becomes the long term solution until Bradish is back.

If he performs well, I would think he gets another start and it just goes from there.

I think unless he implodes he will get the second start, and unless he is dominant or someone gets hurt, he goes back down after that.

Unless things change with Bradish, I expect him to only miss the minimum 15 days, so he will be able to make his turn in the rotation in 2 weeks and the O's can even eke out an extra arm in the bullpen for a few days (and stop the service time clock) by sending Grayson down immediately after his second start.

This definitely will help the walkup for the Tuesday, April 11 game if so.

Edited by MurphDogg

Just now, MurphDogg said:

I think unless he implodes he will get the second start, and unless he is dominant or someone gets hurt, he goes back down after that.

Unless things change with Bradish, I expect him to only miss the minimum 15 days, so he will be able to make his turn in the rotation in 2 weeks and the O's can even eke out an extra arm in the bullpen for a few days (and stop the service time clock) by sending Grayson down immediately after his second start.

I’d be pretty surprised if he is back in 2 weeks.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d be pretty surprised if he is back in 2 weeks.

It is a bruised foot. As long as x-rays remain negative, he could be back in two weeks.

Looking at the history of pitchers on the IL for bruised foot and I can't find much. Williams Perez missed a month in 2015. David Peterson missed one start this spring training. Any other data points?

Edited by MurphDogg

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How long is this for? If he struggles, I imagine he is right back down and Watkins becomes the long term solution until Bradish is back.

If he performs well, I would think he gets another start and it just goes from there.

Agreed.   I suppose Zimmermann is also possible.  

I have a gut feeling that Grayson will rise to the occasion.  Hopefully his family can get there for the game.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Agreed.   I suppose Zimmermann is also possible.  

I have a gut feeling that Grayson will rise to the occasion.  Hopefully his family can get there for the game.  

Good point about Zimmerman. 

I am expecting something like 4.2, 3 runs, 5 hits, 2 walks and 7 Ks.

Kind of a mixed bag..show some positives and some reasons why he was sent down.

Just now, btdart20 said:

Is playing the service time clock game still an option?  I think so.  Unless he dominates (and maybe even then), that's the likely path considering he won't get us a pick at this point.

I believe he would still get us a pick, even though not on the OD roster, if he accrued a full year 172 days) of service.  But I don’t think these decisions will be made based on service time considerations.  

• Upvote 1