Impressions after a week of games

wildcard

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hyde said they’re not imminent.  Sounds like maybe early next week.  

Braves made their first cuts on March 1st. Maybe no specific dates till it gets closer to the season  

Braves make first round of Spring Training cuts: Tromp optioned, three pitchers reassigned - Battery Power
https://www.batterypower.com/2023/3/1/23620528/atlanta-braves-spring-training-roster-move-chadwick-tromp-blake-burkhalter

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Braves made their first cuts on March 1st. Maybe no specific dates till it gets closer to the season  

Braves make first round of Spring Training cuts: Tromp optioned, three pitchers reassigned - Battery Power
https://www.batterypower.com/2023/3/1/23620528/atlanta-braves-spring-training-roster-move-chadwick-tromp-blake-burkhalter

It's easy for the Braves, they've already signed 24 of their guys to long term deals.  😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I have thought about that a lot in the last week. It's one of those situations where you have to trust that Hyde and Elias know what they're doing, I guess.

I'm going to the game next Wednesday. If I'm subjected to Frazier, Mazara, Cordero, etc... I'll be annoyed. But at least I'll be watching baseball in the sun. 

… and hitting the little white ball when not!  Enjoy!

56 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Also, I’ve said Handley is the best defensive catcher on the club, including Adley. He just needs to hit at least .200 and he can be a backup catcher for as long as he wants to play before he retires and becomes a doctor. 

Handley offensive strength seems to be his OBP. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Handley offensive strength seems to be his OBP. 

He's 25 on the 10th of March and his minor league OBP is .329 (in AA and below), on the strength of a .217 batting average.  Walks don't carry over to the majors unless you can hit.  Remember Joey Rickard, and the year he had a .427 OBP in the minors? He's currently sporting a .300 in the majors.

I'm hoping Handley has a reasonably good OBP for a glove-first backup catcher.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's 25 on the 10th of March and his minor league OBP is .329 (in AA and below), on the strength of a .217 batting average.  Walks don't carry over to the majors unless you can hit.  Remember Joey Rickard, and the year he had a .427 OBP in the minors? He's currently sporting a .300 in the majors.

I'm hoping Handley has a reasonably good OBP for a glove-first backup catcher.

Well, if he does that, he’ll be a good backup.   

As to him turning 25 soon, that’s not too old for a C.   When I was studying the players who debuted in 2006 and when they peaked, three of the latest-peaking guys were catchers.  Carlos Ruiz debuted at 27 and had a 22.5 rWAR career.  Our backup last year, Robinson Chirinos, also debuted at 27.  I realize of course that there are many star catchers who debuted way younger, but nobody’s saying Handley will be a star.  We’re just hoping he’ll be a good defender who hits enough to be a solid backup.  

Edited by Frobby

Listened to the radio from the 4th inning on.   A few tidbits not obvious from the box score:

- Holliday made a nice pick-and-tag on an attempted SB, then threw out a batter from deep in the hole, showing plenty of arm.

- Gillaspie was throwing 97-98.

- Sounded like Norby semi-booted a soft bloop that short-hopped him, but it was scored a single.  On the flip side, a friend of mine attended the game and said Norby had the most impressive AB of any of the minor leaguers.  

- My friend also reported that Mayo looks overmatched by major league breaking stuff.  

- Absolutely loving the pace of play rules.  

- Ben MacDonald watched a bullpen session of GRod and The Mountain pitching side by side, and said both were throwing “naked heat.”   He said Felix looks like he’ll be ready for Opening Day.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1