Dean Kremer 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Palmer hates the cutter. When Tyler Wells was being annoying last night by hitting Means with sunflower seed during his in game interview, Palmer told Means to tells Wells to stop throwing cutters. 😂

Big start by Kremer. The rotation is coming along. 

I don't know why any of them throw the cutter. They've been getting hammered. 

Wasn't it Bundy who the O's took away his cutter? Am I remember that right? 

I've been critical of Kremer at times this year but last night was the best we've ever seen of him. He's capable of pitching those types of games. I personally think that he should limit the use of the cutter and reduce his repertoire to fastball, slider and change. 

It looks like he threw more fastballs than his season average last night, about the same with the cutter, less on the change but about double more with the curve.

I think it was last night that Cakes mentioned how the arm angle changes with the sweeper. Maybe Dean was able to better repeat his delivery by not throwing it. I wasn't paying that close attention to his arm angle though so I can't say for sure. Whatever he did, it was a great outing and hopefully he can build on it. 

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We gonna stop acting like this is the United Nations and talk some baseball instead or what?

Sure. I apologize for posting some facts about Dean Kremer the human being. I won’t let it happen again.

Dean Kremer is not arbitration eligible until 2025. He does not reach free agency until 2028. He is currently in his age 27 season. He has thrown a total of 295.2 innings in the major leagues. 

This season, the expected batting averages against his pitches are as follows:

4 seam: .274

Cutter: .299

Sinker: .314

Changeup: .283

Curve: .289

Sweeper: .228

These xBAs are all higher than the xBAs for those pitches last year. However, his profile isn’t all that different than Kyle Bradish. Bradish’s xBAs this year are as follows:

4 seam: .334

Sinker: .294

Curveball: .229

Changeup: .343

Slider: .200

Dean does not walk a lot of batters (only 6.0%), and neither does Bradish (6.5%). The main difference between the two as of today is that Bradish’s slider is a legitimate out pitch, with which batters have difficulty. Therefore, when Dean lacks great command, which he had last night, he gets barreled pretty good.

All of that being said, Dean is still pretty early in his career. Bradish is viewed as a definite future starter, while Dean is viewed as a long man or not part of the future by some. I question whether that’s fair. 

Dean’s curveball has exceptional spin. If he could improve the command of it, perhaps it could become a legitimate weapon like Bradish’s slider. 

I have heard you say in other threads that you think he is a back of the rotation guy, maybe a 4. I have also seen people say they trust Cole Irvin more than Dean, which seems crazy to me. I think your assessment of Dean is fair (as of today).

I do question whether there is more there. I think that he has more upside than some do given where he is in his career. I think that increased usage of the curveball, coupled with better command of the pitch, could make him a legitimate mid rotation starter. Last night, he threw 16 curves, which was the most he has thrown in a game this year. That is a good start!

Will Dean become a legit mid-rotation starter, I don’t know. I do however think that he should throw more curves, and that the organization should give him every opportunity so they can find out.

8 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I don't know why any of them throw the cutter. They've been getting hammered. 

Wasn't it Bundy who the O's took away his cutter? Am I remember that right? 

Yes, Duquette and his people apparently did not like the cutter. Arrieta was another guy who was affected. Maybe he was ahead of his time! My understanding is they banned its use in the minors but allowed pitchers to throw it in the majors once they matured. 

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2012/12/11/3754120/revisiting-dan-duquette-cutter-baltimore-orioles-sabermetrics

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, Duquette and his people apparently did not like the cutter. Arrieta was another guy who was affected. Maybe he was ahead of his time! My understanding is they banned its use in the minors but allowed pitchers to throw it in the majors once they matured. 

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2012/12/11/3754120/revisiting-dan-duquette-cutter-baltimore-orioles-sabermetrics

And the cutter if I recollect correctly was Bundy's best pitch, no?

• 2 weeks later...

That was an excellent performance.  He had pinpoint command of all his pitches and was getting a lot of movement. The ump tonight had a pretty hitter-friendly strike zone, but Kremer was hitting his spots almost all night.   (I was walking my dog during the 3rd inning, so I didn’t see the one inning in which he struggled.).  

On 7/6/2023 at 8:12 PM, Spy Fox said:

True, but the reason he has so many wins is because he already leads the team in run support. 5.97 runs/9 innings. 

Or he has 8 starts where he’s given up 2 or less runs and 4 more with three. His numbers are inflated because his bad starts have been really bad.  However, since May 5th he’s  had only 2 bad starts giving up 6 & 7 runs.  After a rough start he’s given the team 11 out of 13 solid or better efforts. I didn’t call them QS since he didn’t finish the 6th in 4 of them.

• 2 weeks later...