Dean Kremer 2023

Just Regular

Kremer seems to come up big in the games where we really need him to.  With Bautista and Cano on the shelf, we really needed our starter to go deep into the game, and Kremer responded by giving us 7 great innings.  

I’d actually be perfectly comfortable if Kremer had to start a playoff game.  I think he’d respond well.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, now said:

There's a backhanded compliment for ya. ;)

Well...it wasn't meant to be backhanded.   I think he's a good starter.   And I do agree with what Frobby said about him starting a playoff game.  He seems to find a way to keep the team in the game. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Stump Weidman...now that is an old-timey baseball name.  In 1886 he played on the Kansas City Cowboys with Grasshopper Jim Whitney and Fatty Briody. 

That's where we need the comparisions to stop. Ol' Stump went 12-36 for the Cowboys.

Also... think about the 1886 Kansas City team. That was the frontier. This was less than 20 years after George Armstrong Custer was sent to fight and subdue the native population of Kansas. Kansas City has a population in the 1880s of maybe 55,000, many of whom were kind of rough ranchers and farmers. Getting there by train even from the other "western" cities of Chicago or St. Louis or Louisville was probably no small feat. No wonder Kansas City didn't really stick as a MLB team until a century later.

Anybody have the stat they flashed during last night's game highlighting Dean's last two months or so? I can't recall exactly what it was but it was something like his last 15 starts he's something like 8-3 and has posted a 2.87 ERA (could be off but I remember it being something like this) 

Dean's numbers during those last 15 starts

May    29.1 IP   23K   8BB   30H   2.45ERA

June    32.0IP   34K   7BB   37H    5.91ERA

July     24.2IP   22K    9BB   13H   2.92ERA

The lower number of K's in the month could mean nothing and the walks are about the same for the last three months but unless he has a meltdown in his next start, he's going to give up somewhere between 1/3 - 1/2 of the hits that he gave up in the two previous months. They talked about it on the broadcast last night, how if Dean isn't hunting for strikeouts, does that make him a better pitcher..? I think in this month of July we could make a pretty clear argument that it has. 

Is this version of Kremer an exception to his norm or is he figuring out how to better pitch to contact? Obviously we'll take the 2.92 ERA version of him but being a strikeout pitcher in the minors, I guess it could make sense that he's struggled to pitch beyond that in the ML. Is that what we're seeing from him in his age 27 season?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 8:46 AM, Frobby said:

Kremer seems to come up big in the games where we really need him to.  

And he did again today.  Got some defensive help when he most needed it, but he came up huge allowing only 2 run in 7 innings in a tidy 92 pitches, to prevent Houston from completing a sweep.   I love seeing him pitch in big games.  

• Upvote 3

Orioles up 1-0 bottom of the third and Kremer walks the Padres' #9 hitter leading off the inning. Of course SD goes on to score three runs in the inning. That, in a nutshell, is Dean Kremer. #9 batters are putting up .267 / .327 / .489 against him this season, which is absurd for the spot in the lineup where opposing teams are putting their worst hitters. 

I know he's 11-4 coming in to tonight's game, but right now I dread Kremer's every start. 

16 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Orioles up 1-0 bottom of the third and Kremer walks the Padres' #9 hitter leading off the inning. Of course SD goes on to score three runs in the inning. That, in a nutshell, is Dean Kremer. #9 batters are putting up .267 / .327 / .489 against him this season, which is absurd for the spot in the lineup where opposing teams are putting their worst hitters. 

I know he's 11-4 coming in to tonight's game, but right now I dread Kremer's every start. 

Yeah who wants a guy that constantly gives up 3 runs or less almost anytime he takes the mound.  He has given up 3 runs or fewer in 16 of his last 19 starts.  That is extremely consistent.  

29 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah who wants a guy that constantly gives up 3 runs or less almost anytime he takes the mound.  He has given up 3 runs or fewer in 16 of his last 19 starts.  That is extremely consistent.  

He's averaging 5.5 innings a start, with a 4.50 ERA. He's the very definition of mediocrity. Tonight in the 3rd he'd already given up one run to the Padres (scored by the #9 batter who'd walked leading off the inning), and had men on first and second w/two outs. He was this close to getting out of it w/o major damage. What does Kremer do? Throws two middle middle meatballs that are both lasered to CF for run scoring singles. Kremer started the inning with a major brain fart and ended the inning with a major brain fart. The guy can't get out of his own way.