Dean Kremer 2023

Just Regular

From Roch;

“The Orioles are 20-7 in Kremer’s starts, the fifth-best record in their history.

“They went 29-8 in Cy Young Award winner Steve Stone’s starts in 1980, 31-9 with Mike Cuellar pitching in 1970, 29-9 with Mike Flanagan starting in 1979, and 22-7 with Wally Bunker on the mound in 1964.

“The Orioles’ record with Kremer is second behind the Braves’ 22-5 mark with Spencer Strider, in a minimum 25 games.”

I never wouid have guessed that.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From Roch;

“The Orioles are 20-7 in Kremer’s starts, the fifth-best record in their history.

“They went 29-8 in Cy Young Award winner Steve Stone’s starts in 1980, 31-9 with Mike Cuellar pitching in 1970, 29-9 with Mike Flanagan starting in 1979, and 22-7 with Wally Bunker on the mound in 1964.

“The Orioles’ record with Kremer is second behind the Braves’ 22-5 mark with Spencer Strider, in a minimum 25 games.”

I never wouid have guessed that.  

I think Kremer is extremely underrated here at the OH

• Upvote 4

I wonder if he was thrown off some by WBC instead of spring training. Since April it's seemed like a steady uphill battle to get his ERA to it's current level. If you toss out his April, the rest of this year would put him just a bit higher than last year's 3.23 ERA. Overall he has solid numbers for a 4th starter and has been even better than that since July if he can sustain it for a while. 

I think an argument can be made that Dean's development over his last 20ish starts has been one of the three biggest developments overall for the team.

In the 21 games since Detroit tagged him for 5 runs in 5 innings in April, he's pitched to a 3.59 while going a hair under 6 innings per start. With 5ish starts left in his season, he could get close to 180 innings pitched, which has quietly been a HUGE benefit to the bullpen and the team. If he can manage to throw another 25 innings and surrender 7 earned runs or less over those innings, he'll get his ERA under 4.00 (it'd be 3.96 with 175 innings pitched and 77 earned runs).

If we believe that Bradish is who he has pitched like this season and that GrayRod is the guy who we've seen since being recalled, the O's could have three starters with ERAs under 4.00.. throw in John Means 3.81 career ERA and the O's have a REALLY solid rotation going into next year. I don't know how to find this but I would suspect that there aren't more than a handful of teams that have four starters with ERAs under 4.00. Throw in TWells and that'd give the O's five guys with ERAs under 4.00. I doubt there are any teams in the league that have five starters doing that. The Twins don't, the Mariners don't, the Braves don't.. I don't think any other team runs out all five starters with ERAs under 4.00. That's mightily impressive. 

After tonight, the schedule/rotation looks to line up Dean with the Cards next week, then Houston (who Dean has pitched well against) Cleveland then one of the games against Boston in the last series. It's certainly possible with those matchups that he could get to those 175 innings with only those 7 earned runs to get his ERA under 4.00. I bet that's a personal goal for him this year. His progress is a huge development for him and the team this year. 

9 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I think our offense is too. Kremer’s been really solid, but nothing earth shattering. Our offense has come to play on days he’s pitched. 

True, they’ve averaged 5.82 runs/game in his starts.  

Looking at the 20 games they’ve won when he’s pitched, though, there’s really only been three or four games where the offense bailed him out.  The worst was a 4.2 IP, 5 ER outing that the O’s won 8-5.   In two others he allowed 4 ER in 5.2 and 5.0 innings; and in one he allowed 3 ER in 4 innings.   

Bottom line, he’s had a pretty solid year so far.  Hopefully he’ll finish strong.  

Bradish, Kremer, and Wells are all underrated here. Wells was leading the league in WHIP at the ASB. Bradish has been great and could win the ERA title. Kremer has a chance to lead the league in Ws and has been rock solid after the first month. We knew IP and limits would come into play, but these guys held up pretty well. 

Kremer is interesting because he's way out performed his expected stats in statcast (.321 WOBA vs .347 XWOBA just to show one), but his stuff grades above average in movement on most of his pitches. He gives up too many home runs, but also has shown ability to get deep into games going six or more innings ten out of his last 16 starts.

He's gone more with the 4-seamer as his velocity has ticked up 1.1 MPH from last year to 94.6 MPH and we've seen him up to 97 in the 6th inning of games. He's a pretty solid 3rd-4th starter for me on a good team.

• Upvote 2