Dean Kremer 2023

Just Regular

Alright, odds are Kremer takes his homer-prone 6 ERA to Atlanta and gets lit up. If so, do you continue to run him out there, or is it time to make a move? 

Irvin also pitches tonight. He's been meh at AAA, but it might be worth taking another look if only to have Dean sort himself out at AAA for a minute. Especially if Irvin pitches well tonight. 

Any other options you'd go to? 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Alright, odds are Kremer takes his homer-prone 6 ERA to Atlanta and gets lit up. If so, do you continue to run him out there, or is it time to make a move? 

Irvin also pitches tonight. He's been meh at AAA, but it might be worth taking another look if only to have Dean sort himself out at AAA for a minute. Especially if Irvin pitches well tonight. 

I think Irvin is the only option right now. That's if Kremer is terrible and Irvin pitches somewhat decent. There's really no other pitchers that they can call on at the moment.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think Irvin is the only option right now. That's if Kremer is terrible and Irvin pitches somewhat decent. There's really no other pitchers that they can call on at the moment.

Drew Rom would be the other contender. He's on the 40 man roster, had a fantastic outing this Wednesday (6 shutout innings, 11 K, 2 hits), and has the best overall numbers in the AAA rotation. 

That said, I think both that Kremer will get 1 more shot unless he gets absolutely lit up tonight, and that if Irvin has a good outing today they'll go to him out of seniority. 

I'm probably letting him get 3-4 more starts before I consider doing anything.  His stuff looks good to me, we don't have immediate upgrades to choose from and I think people are putting way too much stock into an inflated ERA over 29.2 innings.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's either Hall or Irvin, right?  I don't think they'll go back to Zimmerman for any role other than long relief, and Watkins appears to be injured.

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

Drew Rom would be the other contender. He's on the 40 man roster, had a fantastic outing this Wednesday (6 shutout innings, 11 K, 2 hits), and has the best overall numbers in the AAA rotation. 

That said, I think both that Kremer will get 1 more shot unless he gets absolutely lit up tonight, and that if Irvin has a good outing today they'll go to him out of seniority. 

You're exactly right. I was just in the MiL forum reading up on him when you responded. It feels like he's been around forever, I guess 2018 is kind of a long time in baseball terms. He may actually get a chance if some of the starters can't get it going. Expectations seem pretty low for him though.

6 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Yeah I don't think the O's will be shy about getting a look at Rom this year. He's on the 40 for a reason, and he looks good. They'd do well to at least learn how he reacts to a ML start. Not sure it's time just yet, but we'll definitely see him this year. 

6 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I'm probably letting him get 3-4 more starts before I consider doing anything.  His stuff looks good to me, we don't have immediate upgrades to choose from and I think people are putting way too much stock into an inflated ERA over 29.2 innings.

I get that it's a small sample, and I think Kremer is obviously better than how he's pitched. But let's take a look at the numbers:

7 HR in 29 IP is atrocious, especially when you consider that he allowed 11 HR in 125 IP last year. That's a huge problem. 

If my math is right, he's already allowed 30% of the hits he allowed all of last year.

His stuff does look good, except when he throws trash cutters in the middle of the plate, but something is very wrong with Dean Kremer right now. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I get that it's a small sample, and I think Kremer is obviously better than how he's pitched. But let's take a look at the numbers:

7 HR in 29 IP is atrocious, especially when you consider that he allowed 11 HR in 125 IP last year. That's a huge problem. 

If my math is right, he's already allowed 30% of the hits he allowed all of last year.

His stuff does look good, except when he throws trash cutters in the middle of the plate, but something is very wrong with Dean Kremer right now. 

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the last sentence, I think he's just a bit off right now.  He has a 5.86 FIP so it's not like he's been that unlucky, but probably a bit better than the ERA indicates.  His K/9 is up, BB/9 about the same but as you pointed out the long ball has been a huge issue, jumping to 2.1 HR/9 from 0.8 last year.  That all together combined with what I've seen when watching him is he's making a handful of bad mistakes per game and paying the price for it.  I guess I don't see what a stint in AAA is going to do for him on that where he is more likely to just get away with those mistakes.

If he goes like 2 IP and gives up 7 ER tonight and then can't get out of the 4th next start then sure I'd probably make a move and give Hall or Rom a shot or something.  I'm certainly not in a hurry to bring back Irvin who isn't even able to miss bats in AAA right now.  I think being a year removed from a 3.23 ERA and 3.80 FIP in 125 IP gives you more rope than 29.2 innings, especially when there is no obvious replacement. 

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I think it's a bit uncharitable to label it this way. It's not just seniority, but a track record of solid #3/#4 SP (on a good team, potentially higher on bad teams) level of performance at the ML level.

10 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think it's a bit uncharitable to label it this way. It's not just seniority, but a track record of solid #3/#4 SP (on a good team, potentially higher on bad teams) level of performance at the ML level.

Yeah, I didn't really mean it as a knock on Irvin or even the O's decision making if that happens. Odds are against Rom ever putting up two years of results similar to Irvin's 21-22. 

Rom is clearly pitching better than Irvin this season though, so it'd definitely be a decision based on track record as opposed to the current results. Irvin's 9 K and 24 H in 17 AAA innings is pretty unsightly. 

14 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Yeah, I didn't really mean it as a knock on Irvin or even the O's decision making if that happens. Odds are against Rom ever putting up two years of results similar to Irvin's 21-22. 

Rom is clearly pitching better than Irvin this season though, so it'd definitely be a decision based on track record as opposed to the current results. Irvin's 9 K and 24 H in 17 AAA innings is pretty unsightly. 

All good. Just wanted to raise that point because player "seniority" has definitely been used quite frequently as a bit of a pejorative on the OH re: manager decision-making (both for Buck and Hyde).

And on current season performance, it's a bit odd... he looked perfectly fine in Spring Training. 

Kremer has been a whopping disappointment this year.  I think the only thing that's saving him from being demoted is that Irvin hasn't exactly been spectacular in his AAA stint so far.  That, and Means isn't ready to come back yet.  Hypothetically, if Means were ready to come back next week, I think this is a different story.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Rom can do instead, he certainly couldn't be much worse than what Kremer is bringing to the table these days.  If Kremer gets shelled tonight and they need to send him down and Rom isn't the guy, I wouldn't mind seeing Watkins again.  He's another option in the "can't get much worse" club.