Dean Kremer 2023

Just Regular

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kremer has some good traits. This isn’t a Tyler Wilson/Mike Wright situation. Kremer just needs to execute. It looks like the adjustment is less 4 seamers and more cutters. 

See I feel like it was the cutter that got him in trouble in his last start. Whatever the solution, I hope he finds something that sticks start-to-start. Right now he's a lot more inconsistent than his 2022 version. 

14 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Interesting tidbit- Both starting pitchers tonight are Jewish.  I wonder when the last time there was an MLB game where both starters were Jewish?  I wonder if that's ever happened before?

Our Jew beat up their Jew.  As it should be.  Mazel Tov

• 3 weeks later...

Kremer did a nice job of keeping the O’s in the game last night while the offense wasn’t doing anything.  6.1 iP, 3 ER.   The last run charged to him was when he walked the final batter he faced with one out, and Baker came in and promptly gave up two hits and allowed that run to score.   Two starts before that, Baker relieved Kremer with a runner on first and two outs, and allowed that run to score.   Kremer must dread having Baker follow him.  

I’m not a big fan of Hyde’s pattern of “you start the inning but if one thing goes wrong you are done.”  There was little evidence to me that Kremer was tired or done there. I understand he was at 97 pitches, but he very well could have been out of the inning by 105.  Who do you trust more that next batter to induce a DP, him or Baker? 

5 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I’m not a big fan of Hyde’s pattern of “you start the inning but if one thing goes wrong you are done.”  There was little evidence to me that Kremer was tired or done there. I understand he was at 97 pitches, but he very well could have been out of the inning by 105.  Who do you trust more that next batter to induce a DP, him or Baker? 

And if he leaves him in and gives up runs, people say why not go to a well rested Baker, who has largely been very good this year.

At some point, we need the players to do their jobs and stop looking for a reason to blame Hyde.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And if he leaves him in and gives up runs, people say why not go to a well rested Baker, who has largely been very good this year.

At some point, we need the players to do their jobs and stop looking for a reason to blame Hyde.

I just don’t think it puts either player in a situation to succeed. Kremer knows he has zero rope, Baker comes in with men on. 

And I don’t know that I am blaming Hyde, just pointing out a practice of his I don’t love. Ultimately I agree the players need to do what they do.

Kremer got a bit lucky in the 3rd inning when Wade hit a screamer right at O’Hearn with nobody out, runner on 2B, and then when the next batter singled, Santander threw out a runner at the plate.   Kremer allowed a run later that inning but it could have been worse.  He was on the ropes a bit in the fifth too after walking the first two hitters, but induced a DP grounder to end that inning.   Overall, another solid outing from Kremer.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kremer got a bit lucky in the 3rd inning when Wade hit a screamer right at O’Hearn with nobody out, runner on 2B, and then when the next batter singled, Santander threw out a runner at the plate.   Kremer allowed a run later that inning but it could have been worse.  He was on the ropes a bit in the fifth too after walking the first two hitters, but induced a DP grounder to end that inning.   Overall, another solid outing from Kremer.

Yea he had his plate full with this one. It didn't help that the first pitch he threw got launched into the bay. Either way, he grinded it out and turned it into a good start.

21 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

Yea he had his plate full with this one. It didn't help that the first pitch he threw got launched into the bay. Either way, he grinded it out and turned it into a good start.

I feel like we have allowed a lot of leadoff homers this year, including a couple of first pitch ones.  But maybe I’m imagining it.  

Edit: it’s the third time this year the O’s have allowed a homer leading off the game.  Bobby Witt on May 2, Mickey Moniak on May 16, and last night.  The other two were not on the first pitch.  Still, 3 in 57 games is a lot. It’s only happened 47 times this year among the 30 major league teams.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I feel like we have allowed a lot of leadoff homers this year, including a couple of first pitch ones.  But maybe I’m imagining it.  

Actually a good sign: it's the way most creation myths start.