Dean Kremer 2023

Just Regular

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I feel like we have allowed a lot of leadoff homers this year, including a couple of first pitch ones.  But maybe I’m imagining it.  

You'd be more of the expert on that than me. Work schedule and bedtime routines wont let me watch until around 8 most evenings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Kremer got a bit lucky in the 3rd inning when Wade hit a screamer right at O’Hearn with nobody out, runner on 2B, and then when the next batter singled, Santander threw out a runner at the plate.   Kremer allowed a run later that inning but it could have been worse.  He was on the ropes a bit in the fifth too after walking the first two hitters, but induced a DP grounder to end that inning.   Overall, another solid outing from Kremer.

Hyde in his MLB.com post-game presser does a nice job of describing Kremer's pitches, the Giants' approach to them, incl. Wade, Jr.'s lead-off homer, and how Kremer overcoming the two walks in the fifth, then pitching a 3-up, 3-down sixth are signs of his maturing as a pitcher.

• Upvote 1

I'm just glad that Hyde left Kremer in to keep battling and keep pitching. Kremer proved he deserves a long leash instead of "Captain Hook" yanking him at the first sign of trouble, and over working the bullpen. Kremer comes through in a big way and should earn Hyde's confidence.

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm just glad that Hyde left Kremer in to keep battling and keep pitching. Kremer proved he deserves a long leash instead of "Captain Hook" yanking him at the first sign of trouble, and over working the bullpen. Kremer comes through in a big way and should earn Hyde's confidence.

As mentioned above, Hyde in his post-game presser was quite proud of Kremer's performance, mentioning especially his not being ruffled by the lead-off homer and the two walks in the 5th inning.

All of Kremer’s numbers are higher than last year but I’m seeing him actually becoming a pitcher, not just a thrower. He seems to locate his pitches well especially up and down the zone. To me he really is becoming a quality #3 in the rotation.

We just need Gibson to be as consistent as he has been and Wells to become a legit #2.  If Bradish can continue to improve he becomes a quality #4. If Grayson or even Means comes back we could have a pretty good rotation, maybe not World Series quality but definitely good enough to win the division. 

12 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Is this who Kremer ultimately is as a pitcher? A 5ish ERA #5 starter on a competitive team?

I think he's better than that. More of a 4ish ERA guy. He had 6 straight pretty good starts before tonight. 

He's definitely having a HR issue though. He's now allowed more HRs this year than last year in just a little over half the innings.

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I think he's better than that. More of a 4ish ERA guy. He had 6 straight pretty good starts before tonight. 

He's definitely having a HR issue though. He's now allowed more HRs this year than last year in just a little over half the innings.

I'll take 6 good ones and a bad one all season long.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

He has only given up 5 homers total in his last 8 starts (45.3 innings) which is less then 1 per 9 innings.     He gave up 7 in his first 25 innings after it looked like he was effected by the WBC. 

8 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He has only given up 5 homers total in his last 8 starts (45.3 innings) which is less then 1 per 9 innings.     He gave up 7 in his first 25 innings after it looked like he was effected by the WBC. 

To you maybe.

I haven't seen anything that looks remotely like evidence the WBC was to blame.

• 2 weeks later...

For the second year in a row, Kremer has a huge discrepancy between his actual ERA and his xERA.  Last year his actual was 3.23, expected was 4.49.   This year, it’s 4.56 and 5.90.  So, that would suggest Kremer has been very lucky two years in a row.

On the other hand, last year his 3.80 FIP and 4.43 xFIP also were out of line with his actual 3.23.   This year his 4.63 FIP and 4.39 xFIP are very close to his actual 4.56 ERA.

It’s also worth mentioning that Kremer had a terrible April (6.67 ERA), a great May (2.45) and a so-so June (4.50).   

So what are we expecting from Kremer from here?    I’m frankly not too worried about his xERA, but I think we’re probably looking at a 4.00 - 4.50 pitcher the rest of the way.  I’ll wait for @wildcardto tell me why that’s pessimistic.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For the second year in a row, Kremer has a huge discrepancy between his actual ERA and his xERA.  Last year his actual was 3.23, expected was 4.49.   This year, it’s 4.56 and 5.90.  So, that would suggest Kremer has been very lucky two years in a row.

On the other hand, last year his 3.80 FIP and 4.43 xFIP also were out of line with his actual 3.23.   This year his 4.63 FIP and 4.39 xFIP are very close to his actual 4.56 ERA.

It’s also worth mentioning that Kremer had a terrible April (6.67 ERA), a great May (2.45) and a so-so June (4.50).   

So what are we expecting from Kremer from here?    I’m frankly not too worried about his xERA, but I think we’re probably looking at a 4.00 - 4.50 pitcher the rest of the way.  I’ll wait for @wildcardto tell me why that’s pessimistic.  

I just think he's settling into a guy who can look really great one start and get bombed the next.  Consistently inconsistent.  The results, as you've pointed out, can be all over the place.

IMO, that makes him anywhere from a #3 starter to a #5 starter.