Another thing Adley apparently excels at

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He had 69 at bats in the minors last year, if you just move those over into ML at bats he hits 6 and that allows for all the extra rest you could ever want replacing the games he missed with injury.

I'm certainly not saying he's a lock to get to 6WAR but it's not at all an overly optimistic take to suggest it.

I am certainly not saying he is a lock NOT to get to 6 WAR, I was just reacting to the level of optimism from SG, which I took to be out of character for him. It is really all I was TRYING to say. There were only 14 players ( 2 pitchers) with over 6 WAS last year with Trout at #14 with 6.3 WAR, it's pretty rare. Do I believe AR can do it, absolutely!!! Do I think it will happen in his first full season, as the league adjusts to him and takes the O's more seriously, no I don't.

as if we needed any more reasons to praise Rutschman; yet, here's one more!

Given the recent preference for pitchers with 4 seamers that "ride" and play well at the top of the zone, I wanted to dig into the data and see how the league fared last year against balls up in the zone.  Granted my sample was for all pitches, and not just fastballs, but the results are still glowing for Rutschman.

Looking at pitches at the top third of the strike zone and above, only 5 hitters rated in at least the 75th percentile in barrel rate, swinging strike rate, and chase rate above the zone.  And boy are these 5 good hitters!

Great eye, great contact skills, and great power combination - everything you want in a hitter.  Seeing Yordan and Baby Vlad isn't a surprise, but Rutschman's inclusion was a bit surprising to me, as was Cruz's.  With so much apparent swing and miss in Cruz's game, the fact that he can cover the top of the zone (especially as a lefty) is extremely promising for him going forward.

But given this is an Adley post, I do want to break down how he did right handed and lefthanded.  Stay tuned, I'll try to follow up in another post.

edit: For those wondering why Aaron Judge was kept off the list, it was his 13.3% swinging strike rate in balls up in the zone.  But his 34% barrel rate is mouthwatering.

image.png.6c74a7905dc5fef06bd9f5924f36a958.png

Edited by nvpacchi
  • Thanks 3

Does anyone think the O's will lock him up to a Wander Franco type extension?  Adley is older and is at a position that causes a lot of wear and tear (major factors to not sign him).  At some point, I would like to see Elias extend some of the young talent. 

45 minutes ago, CaptDbog said:

Does anyone think the O's will lock him up to a Wander Franco type extension?  Adley is older and is at a position that causes a lot of wear and tear (major factors to not sign him).  At some point, I would like to see Elias extend some of the young talent. 

I do not think the Orioles are going to extend him.

I think the plan was six years and flip him.  Adley changed the math so now it's five years and flip him.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the plan was six years and flip him.  Adley changed the math so now it's five years and flip him.

It makes logical sense considering his age in 5 years and playing primarily catcher.  The fan in me wants to see him and others extended. 

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if that's the plan Rutschman's trade value increases if he's already signed to an early extension. But seeing how the Angelos family operates with payroll, I doubt they understand this and don't want to spend the money when they can just go to arbitration with Adley.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 4:03 PM, CaptDbog said:

It makes logical sense considering his age in 5 years and playing primarily catcher.  The fan in me wants to see him and others extended. 

He kind of seems like a switch hitting Joey Votto with the bat, so he’ll likely have significant value as a 1B/DH even when his body starts to make catching difficult