Poll- Who is More Likely to Win a Gold Glove

Old#5fan

Who is More Likely to Win A Gold Glover Over Next Six Years?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Who is More Likely to Win A Gold Glover Over Next Six Years?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the thread boils down to:

Old#5Fan has a different colloquial meaning for "Gold Glove-caliber" than most people.

This can be avoided by not using that phrase when talking to him, or by ignoring him completely.

Actually this thread right now boils down to Adam Jones hanging on to the slimmest of possible leads over Nick Markakis in the poll vote! 99-98 last count! ;)

I also find it amazing that this thread has had 2,765 views!:eek:

I forge the specifics but there was a year where I believe he either had the fewest errors or best fielding percentage among AL shortstops but didn't get the Gold Glove.

Okay, but what was it about all of that "fewest errors or best fielding percentage" stuff that made you think that he won or should have won the Gold Glove?

Okay, but what was it about all of that "fewest errors or best fielding percentage" stuff that made you think that he won or should have won the Gold Glove?

I just thought he deserved it but the Comittee felt otherwise for whatever reasons known only to them. Just because I thought they got that particular selection wrong though, doesn't mean I invalidated the entire Gold Glove Award voting. I think usually they get the right person selected, but not always.

I just thought he deserved it but the Comittee felt otherwise for whatever reasons known only to them. Just because I thought they got that particular selection wrong though, doesn't mean I invalidated the entire Gold Glove Award voting. I think usually they get the right person selected, but not always.

You're missing the point. It was the way he played his position that year that made you think/assume he had won the Gold Glove. You assumed he had won the award because he had played at the level or caliber of a Gold Glover.

You're missing the point. It was the way he played his position that year that made you think/assume he had won the Gold Glove. You assumed he had won the award because he had played at the level or caliber of a Gold Glover.

He played extremely well, but apparently not Gold Glove Caliber as he did not get the award. That is how I see it. I must have been wrong in thinking that way.

He played extremely well, but apparently not Gold Glove Caliber as he did not get the award. That is how I see it. I must have been wrong in thinking that way.

This is so stupid. There is no way you can possibly think that there are only 18 people each year that are worthy of or played at the level of a gold glover.

This is so stupid. There is no way you can possibly think that there are only 18 people each year that are worthy of or played at the level of a gold glover.

Why do you think this? If they didn't garner the award, than obviously, they didn't play like an award winner. Sort of eh, common sense!:rolleyestf:

So, I guess Ngata didn't deserve to go to the pro bowl either...

Why am I chiming in?:rolleyestf:

You know, If we lived in the southern hemisphere, the water would swirl around the opposite direction. But we still get sucked in.

So, I guess Ngata didn't deserve to go to the pro bowl either...

Why am I chiming in?:rolleyestf:

I think Ngata deserved to go to the Pro Bowl but unfortately since he didn't make it (yet) he cannot be referred to as a Pro Bowl caliber player.:(

Yet it is... and yet he's not. :D

Well, the voting may not be over yet, but I confess I am rather astonished at the late run of voters here in favor of Markakis winning it first.:scratchchinhmm: AJ held the lead for a long time, many days in fact.

This is why it was so gratifying to me when The Hardball Times ran its articles showing good statisical evidence that Brooks, Belanger and Blair were at the very top at their positions over the last 50 years. I no longer felt like some old codger telling my kids how everything was better back in the day.

I will say this -- based on what I saw of Jones last year, he should develop into the 2nd-best defensive CF the Orioles have ever had. And I can't think of a better defensive RF the Orioles have had than Markakis.

My all-time Orioles defensive team:

1B -- Murray

2B -- Grich

SS -- Belanger

3B -- Brooks

C --- Dempsey

LF -- Brady

CF -- Blair

RF -- Nick

P --- Palmer/Mussina (tie)

I'm going to give an obscure honorable mention at 1B to a little-remembered back-up named Tony Muser. IMO, he was actually the best defensive 1B the team ever had, he just didn't play enough to merit a spot on the all-time team.

Thank you. Thank you very much!

Archived