Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Got cleanup spot this afternoon ahead of Diaz and Cowser - his 107.9 EV double was just 0.2 ticks off the best Jesus Aguilar was able to muster in several hundred batted balls last year.

I'm following the gamecast while at work.  Just struck out with the bases loaded.  I was hoping for another double.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Westburg was impressive today, lacing a single into the LCF gap (misplayed into a two base error by Boston) and then another in the RCF gap.  With that, he’s now hitting .324/.351/.500 this spring.  

Seems like a player that is ready to be in the majors. Good thing we signed a completely mediocre player on the wrong side of 30 to block that from happening!

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2023 at 10:06 PM, Frobby said:

I’m playing the long game.  If Westburg is better than Frazier, he’ll be on the roster soon enough.  

Well he IS better than him. I feel comfortable saying that just knowing Westburg's exit velos. But what is "soon enough" for Elias and co.? For us, it feels like it should be May. For them, it might be the All-Star break or beyond. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well he IS better than him. I feel comfortable saying that just knowing Westburg's exit velos. But what is "soon enough" for Elias and co.? For us, it feels like it should be May. For them, it might be the All-Star break or beyond. 

If exit velo were the sole determinant of who is a good baseball player, Frazier would never have played in the majors.   He’s been a bottom of the barrel exit velo guy from the jump.   Yet, he’s accumulated 12.3 rWAR and has had several seasons over 100 OPS+.  So obviously, there’s more to it than exit velo.

I’m not ready to say that Westburg is better than the 2023 version of Frazier.  He might be, we’ll see.  It will all become clear as the year goes along.  

Just now, Frobby said:

If exit velo were the sole determinant of who is a good baseball player, Frazier would never have played in the majors.   He’s been a bottom of the barrel exit velo guy from the jump.   Yet, he’s accumulated 12.3 rWAR and has had several seasons over 100 OPS+.  So obviously, there’s more to it than exit velo.

I’m not ready to say that Westburg is better than the 2023 version of Frazier.  He might be, we’ll see.  It will all become clear as the year goes along.  

Yeah I'm not saying it's the end all be all. I'm just saying if two guys are gonna hit .230 in the big leagues with a .300 OBP, give me the younger guy who can at least hit it out of the park. Frazier is probably a better defender, but I'm not sure by how much. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Hypothetical... Suppose Urias is not able to go on opening day and hits the DL due to his thumb injury. Would Westburg be the guy that gets called up?

Depends on who makes the 26, Vavra or one of the 1B/DH AAAA guys. If Vavra is here then no tp Westburg because they already have a Util IF. Westburg would also have to be added to the 40-man, although there should be slots available.