Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

10 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I think this is Elias speak for “we are about to promote him”. But I feel like he has this weird policy of not promoting “real prospects” to replace an injury void, and only promoting them when they’re “ready”. Perhaps after they’ve finished with the string of RHP’s? Which is a stupid reason to keep him down. Open 40 man roster spot. Westburg can fill exactly the roll Urias was playing. 

He has been saying the same thing about Westburg for a while now.

41 minutes ago, yark14 said:

I find it interesting how unexcited the organization is about Westburg.  When Adley and Gunnar were in AAA, the MASN broadcasters seemed to give daily updates on their performances.  Elias would talk about them frequently in interviews.  We'd see hype videos all the time.  Westburg has been hitting better than either of them did at AAA for a longer period of time and literally nothing.  Rarely mentioned by the MASN folks, Elias gives brief and generic responses in interviews, and I've yet to see any sort of hype video.

The lack of PR/marketing around him has me convinced they've been set on trading him for a long time.

The problem is you can't give a "Welcome To the Show" T-shirt promotion for every guy that comes up.  

Frankly I think the way they handle MLB promotions in general is just really, really weird.  Not saying it's wrong (though I think it is) but definitely weird.  Westburg is just latest example.  They're obsessed with the righty/lefty thing - you have a RHB in Urias...that plays the same positions that Westburg does....and when he goes down you don't replace him with Westburg?  Who's killing it in AAA?  Just makes no sense.  

They get a lot of rope because they've done a great job at drafting and developing MiLB players so far, but if we weren't conditioned to the way they do things this would all seem very bizarre.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

The problem is you can't give a "Welcome To the Show" T-shirt promotion for every guy that comes up.  

Frankly I think the way they handle MLB promotions in general is just really, really weird.  Not saying it's wrong (though I think it is) but definitely weird.  Westburg is just latest example.  They're obsessed with the righty/lefty thing - you have a RHB in Urias...that plays the same positions that Westburg does....and when he goes down you don't replace him with Westburg?  Who's killing it in AAA?  Just makes no sense.  

They get a lot of rope because they've done a great job at drafting and developing MiLB players so far, but if we weren't conditioned to the way they do things this would all seem very bizarre.

I can’t wrap my head around the idea that they haven’t played him at first. Seems like if he could play first, he would be up here.

There have been a lot of conflicting reports on Westburg's arm strength in the past.   I watched last night's game and he played SS.   On one play he went into the hole and put everything into the throw and it had plenty of zip.   I'd say he's at least average from SS.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

There have been a lot of conflicting reports on Westburg's arm strength in the past.   I watched last night's game and he played SS.   On one play he went into the hole and put everything into the throw and it had plenty of zip.   I'd say he's at least average from SS.  

Strength is avg.  accuracy is what needs more consistency.  IMO it’s mostly due to his footwork, which can be very challenging when play different positions (different attack/ throwing angles for each IF position). 

2 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Westburg deserves to be promoted, but nowhere to play in the IF. Maybe the same next year if Mateo and Urias stay.

He has to be next man up.   I fully anticipate him getting 150-200 ABs for the Os this year (or at least I did going into the season). 

7 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He has to be next man up.   I fully anticipate him getting 150-200 ABs for the Os this year (or at least I did going into the season). 

He may be next man up but he doesn't have to be.  Ortiz offers a good combination of hitting and fielding.  Plus he is on the 40 man roster while Westburg is not.   Up to Elias who is next man up.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He may be next man up but he doesn't have to be.  Ortiz offers a good combination of hitting and fielding.  Plus he is on the 40 man roster while Westburg is not.   Up to Elias who is next man up.

Westburg is the better fit at 2B and 3B while Ortiz is the better fit at 2B and SS. I'm not sure how Ortiz would be at 3B. If Mateo craters then Ortiz can replace him. 

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Severus Snape Obviously GIFs | Tenor

Sorry, couldn't resist. 😁

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I believe the Westburg has more to offer this team if an every day role opens up. Ortiz might prove to be a better choice if it's more of a utility role. I'm not entirely sold that his offensive production will hold up as well to big league pitching as Westburg's.

3 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Westburg deserves to be promoted, but nowhere to play in the IF. Maybe the same next year if Mateo and Urias stay.

Nonsense. Jordan has the same positional profile as Urias. Ramon was playing alot. Westburg can absolutely be a direct replacement and it's an inexplicable shame he is not already here. O'Hearn does not need to be on the roster. McCann should not be DHing ever. Vavra can be a useful piece but he is not a priority play. 4 guys between 2B, SS, and 3B not to mention the DH spot is perfectly reasonable.  Especially considering Frazier has consistently weaker career splits against LHP. If Urias comes back and everyone is producing, that's a tougher story. 

• Upvote 2