The What if thread

O's84

This is a little idea a came up with last night. People with come up a question about baseball for example. about a particular player and ask what if question. Then people chime in with what they think what would of happened. Then after the question has been examined you can move on to another one someone else proposes.

I'll start with 2.

1. If Ken Griffey Jr. hadn't gotten injured so many times how many HR's would he have now?

2. If Babe Ruth had started as a position player rather than waiting till he was about 24 to actually play about a full season How many HR's would he have had? Bonus. Factor 154-game schedule to present 162 game schedules.

Any other interesting stats are also welcome.

How about if that three team trade between Boston, White Sox, and Texas went through for A-Rod?

Boston would have received A-Rod and Magglio Ordonez, while sending Manny to Texas and Nomar Garciaparra to the White Sox.

Would the Red Sox still have won those two World Series? Would they have won more? And what about the other teams involved, what would have happened with them?

1. If Ken Griffey Jr. hadn't gotten injured so many times how many HR's would he have now?

Griffey had 438 homers in 2000, which was the last year he played in 145 games (he did play in 144 in 2007 and 143 in 2008). In 2000 he hit exactly 40 homers, with a .556 Slugging percentage. This was also the year where his injuries started, the three previous years he had played in at least 157 games and averaged 53 home-runs a season.

In 2001 he missed a huge chunk of playing time and hit 22 homers in 364 At-Bats. He wouldn't have 350 after that until 2005. In 2005 he hit 35 homers in 491 at bats showing he still had 40 home-run power.

Had Jr been able to stay healthy, he more than likely would have been able to hit AT LEAST 40 homers a season over a 5-6 year period.

If he was able to do that he would have had about 200 homers in those five years. From 2006-2008 he averaged 25 homers a year. So if at 2000 he had 438 and then was able to hit 275 more homers between 2001 and 2008 he would be sitting fourth on the all time list with 713 homers, 1 shy of tying Babe Ruth.

I'd put him around 685-700. I don't think he would have hit 40 every year but would still be a great power hitter. Looking at his stats I'd say he would add 15 in '01' date=' 25 in '02, 20 in '03, 15 in '04, and 15 more between 05-08. That would put him right at 701.

2. If Babe Ruth had started as a position player rather than waiting till he was about 24 to actually play about a full season How many HR's would he have had? Bonus. Factor 154-game schedule to present 162 game schedules. .

I'd say Ruth would add about 75-100 in his 4-5 years of playing so hed be around 800, maybe 815.

Archived