It’s only spring training but …..

RZNJ

Maverick Handley looks better than James McCann.

Cowser looks like one of our best hitters.  Leads all of mlb in walks and runs.

Westburg and Ortiz, at the very least look ready to fill in as a backup IF.

Getting the game from the 7th inning to Bautista could be this team’s Achilles heal.    We need Baker or a surprise (Baumann?  Cano?) to step up.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Maverick Handley looks better than James McCann.

Cowser looks like one of our best hitters.  Leads all of mlb in walks and runs.

Westburg and Ortiz, at the very least look ready to fill in as a backup IF.

Getting the game from the 7th inning to Bautista could be this team’s Achilles heal.    We need Baker or a surprise (Baumann?  Cano?) to step up.

I agree with what you are saying about the young players.   These guys are going to go down.  Get playing time and be promoted during the season.  They should help the team.   Elias is going to have to figure out how to clear PT for them in the majors as the season go on.

Perez, Givens and Akin look good for the 7th  to Bautista.   Gillaspie may be helpful but we can't tell how much because he has mostly pitched vs the 2nd and 3rd team of the other team.   I think Hyde has to move him up over the last 10 games to see how he does.

Tate is scheduled to back in May.  Baumann and Bazardo look interesting. ST is not over.  Some pitchers can still step up.

5 hours ago, Yossarian said:

In thought our best hitters were Cordero, Hearn, and Lester so far this spring?

Cordero is interesting.  He’s got a lot of power and he’s fast but in his career he strikes out over 30% of the time and hits for low average.   He’s a bit of a tease.  There’s always that Chris Davis/Jose Bautista hope in there.   His career and ST show that he’s below average defensively in the OF and 1B.   

BB-ref shows “OppQual” in their spring stats, showing the average quality of the hitters/pitchers a player has faced, judged by the highest level the opposing player has attained.  10 = MLB, 8 = AAA, 7 = AA, 5 = Hi A, etc.  Here’s where some of our players fall so far:

Hays 7.1 OppQual, 1.424 OPS

Mountcastle 6.7, 1.103

Cowser 7.0, 1.115

Kjerstad 6.6, 1.217

Westburg 7.4, .851

Rutschman 7.5, .865

Holliday 6.2, .991

Frazier 6.8, .530

Mateo 6.9, .472

Urias 6.9, .689

Henderson 7.9, .477

McCann 7.4, .400

Handley 6.4, .707

Lester 7.1, .878

Diaz 7.2, .875

O’Hearn 7.4, 1.119

Cordero 7.6, 1.448

McKenna 7.2, .501

Cameron 6.9, .695

Intetesting that none of the these guys has seen even AAA pitching on average.

Here’s the OppQual, ERA and innnings for selected pitchers:

Rodriguez 7.4, 5.56, 11.1

Bradish 6.9, 2.00, 9.0

Gibson 7.2, 2.00, 9.0

Wells 7.9, 11.57, 7.0

Voth 7.4, 6.75, 10.2

Irvin 6.6, 2.89, 9.1

Kremer 7.8, 3.00, 9.0

Zimmermann 7.4, 3.75, 12.0

Watkins 7.9, 5.00, 9.0

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

BB-ref shows “OppQual” in their spring stats, showing the average quality of the hitters/pitchers a player has faced, judged by the highest level the opposing player has attained.  10 = MLB, 8 = AAA, 7 = AA, 5 = Hi A, etc.  Here’s where some of our players fall so far:

Hays 7.1 OppQual, 1.424 OPS

Mountcastle 6.7, 1.103

Cowser 7.0, 1.115

Kjerstad 6.6, 1.217

Westburg 7.4, .851

Rutschman 7.5, .865

Holliday 6.2, .991

Frazier 6.8, .530

Mateo 6.9, .472

Urias 6.9, .689

Henderson 7.9, .477

McCann 7.4, .400

Handley 6.4, .707

Lester 7.1, .878

Diaz 7.2, .875

O’Hearn 7.4, 1.119

Cordero 7.6, 1.448

McKenna 7.2, .501

Cameron 6.9, .695

Intetesting that none of the these guys has seen even AAA pitching on average.

Here’s the OppQual, ERA and innnings for selected pitchers:

Rodriguez 7.4, 5.56, 11.1

Bradish 6.9, 2.00, 9.0

Gibson 7.2, 2.00, 9.0

Wells 7.9, 11.57, 7.0

Voth 7.4, 6.75, 10.2

Irvin 6.6, 2.89, 9.1

Kremer 7.8, 3.00, 9.0

Zimmermann 7.4, 3.75, 12.0

Watkins 7.9, 5.00, 9.0

I have to question that stat.  We haven’t used one pitcher all spring whose highest level is not at least AA (7).   I find it hard to believe that most batters are in the 7 range on average.  I would expect our starters to be over 8 on average.   Is it broken down by ABs?   Seems not.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Cordero is interesting.  He’s got a lot of power and he’s fast but in his career he strikes out over 30% of the time and hits for low average.   He’s a bit of a tease.  There’s always that Chris Davis/Jose Bautista hope in there.   His career and ST show that he’s below average defensively in the OF and 1B.   

Cordero is a DH.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think our bullpen gets shored up with people like Wells, Voth or whoever is not starting.

Maybe at some point.   But I don't know if Wells and Voth  can magically flip a switch and  be was they were last year.   It may take a little time.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I have to question that stat.  We haven’t used one pitcher all spring whose highest level is not at least AA (7).   I find it hard to believe that most batters are in the 7 range on average.  I would expect our starters to be over 8 on average.   Is it broken down by ABs?   Seems not.

Perhaps I’m wrong about it being the highest level the player has attained.  Bb-ref says: “Based on the levels their opponents played at in the previous season.”

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps I’m wrong about it being the highest level the player has attained.  Bb-ref says: “Based on the levels their opponents played at in the previous season.”

Some of our guys, including Cowser, are facing Gerritt Cole today.  That’s a 10.