It’s only spring training but …..

RZNJ

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah it's hard to understand the benefit of not putting the best players on the roster right away. Maybe they want to get the extra year from Westburg and that's ok, but then he needs to be up immediately after that. 

Unfortunately, it's hard to see them cutting bait on Frazier that quick. So I guess we'll just... play the worse player for a long period of time? I don't really get it. Frazier is good depth but for $8 million he's probably not going to sit on the bench.

Frustrating 

There is little doubt the Orioles are stuck with Frazier. No way Elias signs a guy for $8 million and doesn't play him all season unless he totally implodes. 

As much as I hate the signing and even the mindset Elias took with signing Frazier, I do believe he will be better than he's been this spring. 

Saying that, in the few games I've seen him this spring, he doesn't have a lot of zip on his DP throws. But I need to see him a lot more this year (which unfortunately I will) before making a real call on his DP turning ability and arm strength. 

• Upvote 1

In terms of Frazier (I also think the signing was silly), but he's basically Nick Markakis-lite. Decent average, gets on base, middling power (less than Nick's hence the 'lite'), plays his position decently if not spectacularly...he's not a terrible player, I just don't really see how he fits as a piece into the current puzzle. I see he's been leading off in recent ST games, I wonder if Hyde is just giving him more ABs to get out of his funk or is thinking he's going to leadoff due to his OBP-history and have Mullins hit in the 2 spot. It'll be interesting to see

4 hours ago, Ridgway22 said:

Both, please. 

Looking at the roster and getting a strong "San-tan-der is / should be the odd man out" vibe, depending on what we could get for him in a trade.

Hays, as a 4th outfielder / Merv Rettenmund '69-'71 type role, opens spots for both of them. McKenna is Norfolk filler waiting to be needed. e tu, Stowers? 

Man, it's nice to be talking about these "issues."

Santander was the O's 2nd best hitter last year and has a good chance of being their 2nd best hitter this year (I hope Gunnar steps up though).  No way the O's can take the chance of trading Santander.

Hays I can definitely see being replaced.  Hopefully he has a big 1st half and is traded and replaced with Cowser.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What risk are you taking? You have the best catcher in baseball and a back up who is excellent defensively and has a solid offensive ceiling for a back up C.

He hasn’t even played AAA yet.  No way he was going to be option A for backup C.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Kjerstad, I'm not sure I've seen a guy look as ML ready as he has in camp. It's going to be frustrating waiting for him because I think he's ready right now. Despite almost no minor league time. I think he's just one of those players who is instantly ML ready.

That’s a huge logical leap.  I’m glad he’s looked good in 38 spring plate appearances, but that doesn’t make him major league ready.  If he is, he’ll prove it as the year goes along.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a huge logical leap.  I’m glad he’s looked good in 38 spring plate appearances, but that doesn’t make him major league ready.  If he is, he’ll prove it as the year goes along.

His defense is, unquestionably, ML ready And that’s what it’s important from that position. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His defense is, unquestionably, ML ready And that’s what it’s important from that position. 

So you’re cool if he hits .150?   

I’m happy pairing Adley with a veteran who knows the hitters and the nuances of the major league game.  I think Handley is a viable option for 2024.   Remember, this is a guy who went unclaimed in the Rule 5 draft.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So you’re cool if he hits .150?   

I’m happy pairing Adley with a veteran who knows the hitters and the nuances of the major league game.  I think Handley is a viable option for 2024.   Remember, this is a guy who went unclaimed in the Rule 5 draft.  

I’m not convinced whatever back up C we have, including McCann, is going to be that Much better offensively.

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think Frobby was referring to Kjerstad. We’re you talking about catcher?

Yeah, the conversation got mixed up.  My post was referring to Kjerstad, SG’s response was about Handley, then I replied about Handley.