Paul Skenes

I predict this kid is the #1 overall pick this year.   Not one early mock has him going there.  BA has him at 3.  Law had him around 8.  Others in between.   Remember the name.  6’6, 235, chiseled.  A smooth and easy 96-99.  Great control.  Good command.   

5 games started for LSU so far.  30 ip, 12 hits, 4 walks, 59 strikeouts.  Wowsa!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I predict this kid is the #1 overall pick this year.   Not one early mock has him going there.  BA has him at 3.  Law had him around 8.  Others in between.   Remember the name.  6’6, 235, chiseled.  A smooth and easy 96-99.  Great control.  Good command.   

5 games started for LSU so far.  30 ip, 12 hits, 4 walks, 59 strikeouts.  Wowsa!

He definitely seems like a beast, but to play devil's advocate a bit, the only real competition he's faced so far is Texas A&M, the rest of the start of the season schedule has been pretty soft. It'll be fun to see where his numbers are in a month or so.

2 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

He definitely seems like a beast, but to play devil's advocate a bit, the only real competition he's faced so far is Texas A&M, the rest of the start of the season schedule has been pretty soft. It'll be fun to see where his numbers are in a month or so.

Fair enough but Texas A&M is a good team and he shut them out for 6.1 with 0 walks and 11 k’s.   

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2023 at 1:21 PM, CharmCityHokie said:

There is an incredible amount of parity in D1 baseball. Most lineups are tough.  Top 25 schools have 3 legit starters and multiple BP arms.  Smaller schools can match lineups but don’t have the pitching.  What he is doing is very impressive.  

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He has some incredible stuff.  See a lot of highlights of him on Twitter. 

By the time the draft rolls around, if not before, I think they'll be talking about him as the best prospect since Strasberg and Gerritt Cole as far as college pitchers go.    Dylan Crews is putting up crazy numbers but there are still questions on how he is against offspeed stuff.    Crews did clean up some stuff I was skeptical about in his stance and load since last year and looks great as well.   Corner outfielder (most likely) with plus hit and power or #1 power pitcher.    I know which one is tougher to find.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

By the time the draft rolls around, if not before, I think they'll be talking about him as the best prospect since Strasberg and Gerritt Cole as far as college pitchers go.    Dylan Crews is putting up crazy numbers but there are still questions on how he is against offspeed stuff.    Crews did clean up some stuff I was skeptical about in his stance and load since last year and looks great as well.   Corner outfielder (most likely) with plus hit and power or #1 power pitcher.    I know which one is tougher to find.

The top end of this draft is remarkable. I kind of look at it as having Strasburg and Harper in the same draft (with Crews being closer to MLB). Two elite options. One a pitcher. One a position player. The position player typically is a safer pick.

If Pittsburgh goes Crews, I definitely see Washington go Skenes. If Pittsburgh for some reason goes with someone else, I’m not sure who Washington would take.