Westburg's EVs

Tony-OH

20 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

A stop gap is not a league average player. Frazier is far superior defensively than Harrison. 

Frazier is an $8 mil stop gap... nothing else. Because of the contract Frazier will end up getting way more AB's than he should considering that they have players that can replace him in the MiL's.

We've been over this before, so there's really no need in wasting each other's time here. They would not pull the plug on Odor for the minimum. What makes you think they'll limit Frazier's AB's?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Where are you finding a league average FA for under $8M? 

I would rather the O's signed another utility guy for $2 or 3 million and let Urias/Vavra and this utility guy fight it out for the starting position (assuming that Elias/O's think Westburg is not ready).

I think the most impressive thing is how consistently hard he's hitting major league caliber pitching. We knew he had good EVs, and it was clear that he hits the ball hard, but it's impressive to see the results in almost every game. 

I know I personally would be thrilled to know he was going to be the everyday 2B this year. Since there is no time machine, we will most likely have to wait and see. Hopefully he gets off to a good start in AAA and forces his way onto the big league roster. Like Frobby though, I have this fear that Elias won't cut bait with his $8 million investment regardless of Westburg and Ortiz's stats in AAA. 

Westburg is 24 years old and showing that he's ready for the major leagues. It's ashamed that poor offseason moves have blocked his everyday job opportunity to start the year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So? You have better options and Harrison could have been signed as your insurance policy. Less money, more versatile and came off a better year. No need to feel you have to play him a lot with the money he’s getting.

Easily the better signing.

Why do you care about the money? Why not want a better insurance policy? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would rather the O's signed another utility guy for $2 or 3 million and let Urias/Vavra and this utility guy fight it out for the starting position (assuming that Elias/O's think Westburg is not ready).

If they didn’t think Westburg was ready why would you want an inferior player? 

18 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why do you care about the money? Why not want a better insurance policy? 

1) because the money means a mediocre player plays.

2) He’s not better..or, put another way, Harrison is just a bench guy and the better, younger players play.

BTw, I think signing either is stupid but Frazier is worse.  There was no need for any MIer at all to be signed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

If they didn’t think Westburg was ready why would you want an inferior player? 

No, we signed the inferior player for $8M.  And because of that he's going to play no matter how poorly he performs.  Arguably the worst signing of the off-season by any MLB team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

No, we signed the inferior player for $8M.  And because of that he's going to play no matter how poorly he performs.  Arguably the worst signing of the off-season by any MLB team.

It could be bad.  I’m not sure about worst of the off season.   The problem is that it looks like it wasn’t needed at all.    However, if Frazier is good it will be a little easier to live with.

If he’s putting up a .600 OPS, you have to wonder how much rope they’ll give him.  Also remember that Urias will be getting some of those AB’s so even if Frazier struggles it’s hard to see how Westburg or Ortiz get a chance.  They’ll just give more AB’s to Urias.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the most impressive thing is how consistently hard he's hitting major league caliber pitching. We knew he had good EVs, and it was clear that he hits the ball hard, but it's impressive to see the results in almost every game. 

I know I personally would be thrilled to know he was going to be the everyday 2B this year. Since there is no time machine, we will most likely have to wait and see. Hopefully he gets off to a good start in AAA and forces his way onto the big league roster. Like Frobby though, I have this fear that Elias won't cut bait with his $8 million investment regardless of Westburg and Ortiz's stats in AAA. 

Westburg is 24 years old and showing that he's ready for the major leagues. It's ashamed that poor offseason moves have blocked his everyday job opportunity to start the year.

Yeah, I’d rather just focus on the positives of how Westburg is looking than rehash Frazier.  I’d rather Westburg prove that Elias was wrong to think he might not be ready, than prove that Elias was right.  My gut tells me that Westburg will get his chance one way or another in the first half of this season if he continues to play well.