Mychal Givens 2023

Going Underground

On 4/30/2023 at 3:29 PM, Otter said:

Wow, that's a lot...especially since he was drafted as a lean infielder...

Was that 250lbs fat or muscle??

Can’t all be muscle.  He was a great fielding pitcher when we had him.  He’s probably to heavy now to run home in time to make this play.

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Can’t all be muscle.  He was a great fielding pitcher when we had him.  He’s probably to heavy now to run home in time to make this play.

Yeah, I was mostly joking but still shocked he could be up to 250.  And at 250 he would never be able to do that splits either!  

Maybe all that extra weight is why he has this strange lingering sore knee that's kept him out so long.  Surprised he passed the O's physical...

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Givens threw his second straight clean inning today, striking out one and needing only 9 pitches to get through the inning.   His rehab started after Tate’s, but he’s looking better so far.  

I think Givens  will be activated to the O's pen on Thursday.   Akin or Kremer optioned to AAA.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I doubt it happens that quickly.  

He is healthy and pitching well.  Why wait on Givens?

I am watching Norfolk's lineup for today.  The pitcher has not been posted but I am guessing its Zimmermann.    If he starts and is pulled after 3 innings that could mean he is pitching Saturday for the O's taking Kremer place.   Don't know if any of that is true but that is what I am watching.  

Who would you rather have start vs the Braves.  Kremer with a 6.67 ERA  or Zimmermann with a AAA ERA of 2.49?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I know when Tate went on assignment he said he thought it would take 2 weeks and he’d want to go back-to-back days before returning to the Orioles.  I’m not sure if that’s just a Tate thing, or more of a protocol for what the O’s want in a reliever rehab.  

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am watching Norfolk's lineup for today.  The pitcher has not been posted but I am guessing its Zimmermann.    If he starts and is pulled after 3 innings that could mean he is pitching Saturday for the O's taking Kremer place.   Don't know if any of that is true but that is what I am watching.  

Who would you rather have start vs the Braves.  Kremer with a 6.67 ERA  or Zimmermann with a AAA ERA of 2.49?

Are you serious? Have you completely forgotten about his last stint in the majors? I get Kremer hasn’t been great so far but that’s madness.

8 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Are you serious? Have you completely forgotten about his last stint in the majors? I get Kremer hasn’t been great so far but that’s madness.

I am not in favor of it, but I wouldn’t say a call-up of Zimmermann is madness.  I’ve noticed that he does his best pitching in the early part of the year.  I think he gets arm fatigue after a couple of months and loses the shape on his pitches.  Now would be as good a time to use him.  

I have to say, when he’s bad, he’s absolutely defenseless.