Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

On 9/7/2023 at 8:57 AM, Tony-OH said:

Irvin is throwing harder than he's ever thrown in the major leagues including in relief roles when he first came up.

Irvin is pretty good with 1-25 pitches holding batters to a .250/.319/.346/.665 slash line.

Can we chalk up the throwing harder to adrenaline and/or that he has a “fresh” arm at this point in the season?

8 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I've decided I like Cole Irvin. He's been solid out of the bullpen (3.98 FIP before tonight's strong outing) and competitive as a swingman starter (4.71 FIP). I hope they offer him a couple million in arbitration to reprise that role next year.

I think Irvin is quite useful.  If anything, I think he’s been underutilized.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know if this is good for Irvin, bad for Akin or if it’s just nice to be rich because you can piss away money on things.

The Orioles aren’t really a rich man.  But they’re kind of like a guy who built his own house and knows how to do home repairs himself, so he can afford some other things that his neighbor who bought his house at top dollar and has to hire repairmen whenever something goes wrong can’t afford. 

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know if this is good for Irvin, bad for Akin or if it’s just nice to be rich because you can piss away money on things.

I just mean he's a better version of Akin.  The results might be similar at times but Irvin's talent is superior.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I just mean he's a better version of Akin.  The results might be similar at times but Irvin's talent is superior.

I know..I’m just kidding.

I liked the move when we made it and I still like it. Hernaiz is doing well and maybe it looks like an overpay but it was a fine move and Irvin should be here for at least a few years. He can kind of be a Ryan Yarborough type guy for us and that’s a valuable guy when they aren’t making a lot of money.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I liked the move when we made it and I still like it. Hernaiz is doing well and maybe it looks like an overpay but it was a fine move and Irvin should be here for at least a few years. He can kind of be a Ryan Yarborough type guy for us and that’s a valuable guy when they aren’t making a lot of money.

If Hernaiz ends up an everyday player then yeah, it's an overpay.  But he had no role here, and Irvin does, so I'm fine with it either way.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hernaiz has been hitting well in hitter's leagues. I think Hernaiz is comparable to Richie Martin, but with less speed. 

As for Irvin, I think he can be valuable for this team. Last night he actually quietly did something few noticed. He came back one days rest after throwing 39 pitches over 2.2 IP and tossed 32 more pitches over two innings. 

That's actually a valuable skill. Needing only one days rest after going multiple innings is something that not a lot of guys can do. 

• Upvote 3

Don’t forget we also got a minor league pitcher, Kyle Virbitsky, in the Irvin trade.  Virbitsky was named MVP of the Ironbirds this year after tossing 103.1 IP at a 3.83 ERA, and a 2.28 ERA over his final 19 starts.   He’s 24 and in high A, so I wouldn’t call him more than a marginal prospect, but he’s got a puncher’s chance of having some use at the major league level down the road.   

• Upvote 1