Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

Just now, Jim'sKid26 said:

Please provide a bit more clarification. I am not following your train of thought.

You judge the cost of a trade when the trade is made.

For instance I didn't like the Norris trade when it was made.  The fact that Hader ended up becoming a valuable pitcher shouldn't be a factor in evaluating that trade.  Giving up a first round pick, a ML ready player and a lottery ticket was an overpay in my view. 

I'd feel the same way about the Machado trade if Yusniel Díaz had panned out.

There are too many unknowns involved in baseball to judge things in a future sense.

The Irvin trade was reasonable from both sides.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

And I bet he doesn't complain.  He understands the situation and is going along for the good of the team.  I hope he is on the postseason roster.  

This is surely because Irvin is going to be unavailable for a few days after having pitched so much recently.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't on the postseason roster.

• Upvote 1

I'm a little surprised Irvin was sent down because he can't come back unless an injury occurs on the pitching staff for at least 15 days. 

I get that he won't be available for a few days, but that 15 day rule seems like we're losing a guy who has useful in a relief role for a decent amount of the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And the requirement for a pitcher to stay down, before coming back up, is it 10 or 15 days?   I can't remember.

Pretty sure it’s 10 unless there is an injury.

Im actually surprised by this. I know Irvin is maybe down for a few days but still..although it does look like they are going back to the 6 man rotation for the moment, so that would mean they are down 2 BP arms for the next few days. 

edit: no, it’s 15 days…makes the decision even more puzzling.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Pretty sure it’s 10 unless there is an injury.

Im actually surprised by this. I know Irvin is maybe down for a few days but still..although it does look like they are going back to the 6 man rotation for the moment, so that would mean they are down 2 BP arms for the next few days. 

edit: no, it’s 15 days…makes the decision even more puzzling.

I find it a surprising move too.

Unless of course they are already planning on someone getting injured and going on the IL so they can recall him.    Flaherty has another bad outing and the next day he has some "soreness" (like all pitchers do the day after pitching). 

I think the move is a precursor to a must-win, all hands on deck bullpen management strategy against Tampa where Vespi's advantage in "I can face one key batter and maybe K him" is preferable to Irvin's advantage in giving steady innings. Not a good sign for Irvin's playoff roster candidacy. 

Though if Flaherty stinks it up again I could see them finding a way to IL him and bring back Irvin.

26 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think the move is a precursor to a must-win, all hands on deck bullpen management strategy against Tampa where Vespi's advantage in "I can face one key batter and maybe K him" is preferable to Irvin's advantage in giving steady innings. Not a good sign for Irvin's playoff roster candidacy. 

Though if Flaherty stinks it up again I could see them finding a way to IL him and bring back Irvin.

If Flaherty comes up big vs. Tampa, all is forgiven prior.

But my hopes are not high. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You judge the cost of a trade when the trade is made.

For instance I didn't like the Norris trade when it was made.  The fact that Hader ended up becoming a valuable pitcher shouldn't be a factor in evaluating that trade.  Giving up a first round pick, a ML ready player and a lottery ticket was an overpay in my view. 

I'd feel the same way about the Machado trade if Yusniel Díaz had panned out.

There are too many unknowns involved in baseball to judge things in a future sense.

The Irvin trade was reasonable from both sides.

Gotta factor in the cost of pitching as well when we made the deal.  At the time we traded for Irvin... Gibson and Lyles each got 10+ million per season.  Irvin is a really cheap back end rotation type until 2027.  

Hernaiz was a very fair price for Irvin.  

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Hernaiz has been hitting well in hitter's leagues. I think Hernaiz is comparable to Richie Martin, but with less speed. 

As for Irvin, I think he can be valuable for this team. Last night he actually quietly did something few noticed. He came back one days rest after throwing 39 pitches over 2.2 IP and tossed 32 more pitches over two innings. 

That's actually a valuable skill. Needing only one days rest after going multiple innings is something that not a lot of guys can do. 

I wish Hyde would do this more.  Need to have a couple of low leverage guys in the bullpen who can soak up multiple innings when the starter is knocked out early.