Orioles acquire Danny Coulombe

Going Underground

25 minutes ago, Pickles said:

For his career he's been an averagish relief pitcher, and he's been getting better in more recent seasons.

Ehh, not really. He hasn’t had much of a sample size in any recent years to make that proclamation and he was terrible last year in a very SSS. His walk rate is usually high, his K rate is ok, he gives up his fair share of homers, he’s old and he has had inconsistent splits vs lefties.

He throws strikes at a low rate and he usually doesn’t miss a lot of bats.

He has had some seasons where he has been better than in others, so he’s basically your typical dime a dozen reliever who may be ok but isn’t someone you crave to have on your team.

We’re really missing Jorge Looez. Did we really have to trade him if we were just to turn around and give Givens 7 million?  It’s looking like Elias made two reactionary moves this offseason… Frazier and Givens. 

I have a bad feeling that we’re going to be scrambling for relievers all season and it’s looking like that potentially Hall and possibly GR, could get the Gausman treatment of being used in relief out of desperation. 

55 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ehh, not really. He hasn’t had much of a sample size in any recent years to make that proclamation and he was terrible last year in a very SSS. His walk rate is usually high, his K rate is ok, he gives up his fair share of homers, he’s old and he has had inconsistent splits vs lefties.

He throws strikes at a low rate and he usually doesn’t miss a lot of bats.

He has had some seasons where he has been better than in others, so he’s basically your typical dime a dozen reliever who may be ok but isn’t someone you crave to have on your team.

I'm not sure how you can say he was terrible last year.  He had a 1.46 ERA.  He walked too many guys, but he was impossible to hit (5 h/9; 0 hr/9), and his FIP was a respectable 3.76.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I'm not sure how you can say he was terrible last year.  He had a 1.46 ERA.  He walked too many guys, but he was impossible to hit (5 h/9; 0 hr/9), and his FIP was a respectable 3.76.

His K rate was 6.57…as was his BB rate. That’s awful and the hits and homers aren’t sustainable, obviously.

He just isn’t good. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His K rate was 6.57…as was his BB rate. That’s awful and the hits and homers aren’t sustainable, obviously.

He just isn’t good. 

Well relievers are volatile. Hopefully, we can get a solid month or so out of him if he’s in a good groove. Seems like a Bleier type. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re really missing Jorge Looez. Did we really have to trade him if we were just to turn around and give Givens 7 million?  It’s looking like Elias made two reactionary moves this offseason… Frazier and Givens. 

I have a bad feeling that we’re going to be scrambling for relievers all season and it’s looking like that potentially Hall and possibly GR, could get the Gausman treatment of being used in relief out of desperation. 

I'm still happy to have Cade Povich over Lopez.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He just isn’t good. 

I’m not expecting much more than mediocrity, but he’s been okay in his career.  I figure he’s probably gone when Givens comes off the IL.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not expecting much more than mediocrity, but he’s been okay in his career.  I figure he’s probably gone when Givens comes off the IL.

As I said, he has had some ok years and some bad years..typical volatile, dime a dozen reliever. There wasn’t much reason to bring him in and hand him a spot.

Im guessing they saw him this spring and liked something about him.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

As I said, he has had some ok years and some bad years..typical volatile, dime a dozen reliever. There wasn’t much reason to bring him in and hand him a spot.

Im guessing they saw him this spring and liked something about him.

I think you’re right.  Look, we got the guy for “cash considerations” at the end of spring training.  I’m not expecting that guy to be 2016 Zach Britton.  But is he an upgrade over, say, Nick Vespi?  Decent chance that he is.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you’re right.  Look, we got the guy for “cash considerations” at the end of spring training.  I’m not expecting that guy to be 2016 Zach Britton.  But is he an upgrade over, say, Nick Vespi?  Decent chance that he is.  

But you don’t need 3 lefties (I don’t get Elias’ obsession with lefties).

It was just a weird “must do” move. He’s not good, he’s old and doesn’t have a lot of success to fall back on. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

But you don’t need 3 lefties (I don’t get Elias’ obsession with lefties).

It was just a weird “must do” move. He’s not good, he’s old and doesn’t have a lot of success to fall back on. 

Like I said, I think it’s short term, due to Givens’ injury.   But they clearly liked him better than Politi.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Like I said, I think it’s short term, due to Givens’ injury.   But they clearly liked him better than Politi.   

Right. He’s a proven ML reliever.  More than can be said of Mike Baumann or Logan Gillaspie, one of whom is a good bet to take the last bullpen spot.  Coulombe isn’t great but he’s certainly not terrible.

• Upvote 1