Orioles acquire Danny Coulombe

Going Underground

1 minute ago, Hazmat said:

Outkick.com is reporting Coulombe gifted Josh Smith a nice bottle of whiskey for hitting him in the face with a pitch.  Sounds like Smith is doing well, thank goodness.

Class act.

Made me think immediately of Tommy Boy:

Send over a bottle of bubbly with a bucket of ice and a card. Have it say, "Tough break, get drunk on me. Use the bucket to ice down your marbles, Yours, Z."

• Haha 3

Autistic triplets, for me.  A really good article, and thanks for the link.  Good thoughts headed to the parents who have replied in this thread.  It's a challenge, but so rewarding.  Until I just found out one of the triplets threw a pint of strawberries in the playroom.  Good horizontal movement, mediocre spin rate.   Can't see him going above Aberdeen this year.

• Upvote 3

I have 4... none of which are autistic.  One was tested at an early age....My hat is off to all of you.  Seriously.  Parenting today is hard.  I am 9 months from having 3 out of college and all 4 out of the house.  It is the most challenging and rewarding thing I have ever done.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good pickup so far. We’re definitely riding his strong spring. 

I don’t know how he’ll do over 162 games, but he’s been really important in the early going with so many bullpen guys struggling.  

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know how he’ll do over 162 games, but he’s been really important in the early going with so many bullpen guys struggling.  

He is taking Akin spot  right now as the 2nd lefty in the pen behind Perez.  

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's been fantastic for sure, so I decided to look at his stuff a little closer.

When you look at his pitch movement, spin rates, and extension, nothing stands out as amazing, especially with his slider that he throws 52.7% of the time. 

Screenshot2023-04-14090635.thumb.png.4f1192b100e41befd17ff93166a23707.png

Screenshot2023-04-14090737.thumb.png.b8dfff9ee78320fa29eda1125fb65f4b.png

When you look at his slider, it's a high spin rate slider but it's vertical and horizontal movement are really below average for a slider thrown with 2 MPH of it's 85.7 velocity. So why the 34.6% whiff rate and lack of success against the pitch?

Command and location appears to be part of the reason.

Screenshot2023-04-14091100.thumb.png.41fbd795d8db3105dd075bdf11832160.png

He's burying the pitch down and away on lefties and down and in on righties mostly and his made very few mistakes. Now I don't know how to find the metrics on late movement, but while his slider has "below average movement" overall distance wise, it appears to have very late movement. He also seems to throw it differently at times. Sometimes he gets it to dive and sometimes it flattens out and it moves horizontally or looks a bit like a cutter. The question is, is this something he's doing on purpose or that's just what happens sometimes?

https://www.mlb.com/video/00u7jzgkdtP9kH55c356/reels/danny-coulombe-slider?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

When you add his curveball, and sweeper into the mix, he's got a lot of different looks to his breaking ball.

https://www.mlb.com/video/00u7jzgkdtP9kH55c356/reels/coulombe-s-strikeouts?partnerId=web_multimedia-search_video-share

He's been a great find and credit needs to go to Elias and company on finding value for nothing. 

This is incredible analysis, thank you! I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm curios if you've noticed anything different in Cionel Perez's pitches this year? He seems to be getting hit harder this year than I had seen at any point last year.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, WietersCorner said:

This is incredible analysis, thank you! I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm curios if you've noticed anything different in Cionel Perez's pitches this year? He seems to be getting hit harder this year than I had seen at any point last year.

Thanks. I can take a closer look at Cionel later. He's been pretty good until he just lost his heart during his last outing where he was clearly down after they scored. Then Hyde inexplicitly brought him back out down by 3 to waste him for several days. He clearly did not want to be out there and just threw up pitches that got beat around.

Sometimes you have to read the body language of a pitcher and when guys are used to being in high leverage situations and then you run them back out for a 2nd inning down by 3, you get what you get.

But that's for another thread. :D

One thing I’ve noticed is that Coulombe has a pretty quirky delivery.  He kind of falls off to the right a bit and his throwing hand ends up coming through the spot where his head was at the start of his delivery.  I don’t think hitters are used to seeing the ball come from that position and it throws them off a bit. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks. I can take a closer look at Cionel later. He's been pretty good until he just lost his heart during his last outing where he was clearly down after they scored. Then Hyde inexplicitly brought him back out down by 3 to waste him for several days. He clearly did not want to be out there and just threw up pitches that got beat around.

Sometimes you have to read the body language of a pitcher and when guys are used to being in high leverage situations and then you run them back out for a 2nd inning down by 3, you get what you get.

But that's for another thread. :D

Yeah I was questioning that too. He’s a high octane guy.  Why put him back out there in a “let down” spot?  All that could happen were bad things. 

• 2 weeks later...