Westburg is near ready

wildcard

I thought someone should have been traded in the offseason and he should have been on the opening day roster. That said I also think the options we have (Urias, Frazier, Mateo) are all good, possibly better than Westburg at least short term. Assuming you are calling up Westburg to play every day, who do you bench? 

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

It is pretty apparent that he and Ortiz and probably even Cowser are ready. However, what makes anyone think that he or any of them won’t struggle initially as they acclimate to big league pitching just as superior prospects in Gunnar, Adley, and Grayson did/have done?

The question is not whether a prospect will struggle or have an adjustment period, the question should be whether they are an improvement (short term and long term) over the player they would replace.  

9 minutes ago, Otter said:

The question is not whether a prospect will struggle or have an adjustment period, the question should be whether they are an improvement (short term and long term) over the player they would replace.  

It's pretty apparent that Cowser is a more talented baseball player than Varva. And that Westburg and Ortiz have a higher ceiling than Frazier. 

I was responding to the poster who suggested that calling Westburg up would somehow immediately solve/fix any issues with hitting LH pitching, when more than likely he will struggle to acclimated to the bigs like almost all prospect do in this era. 

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It's pretty apparent that Cowser is a more talented baseball player than Varva. And that Westburg and Ortiz have a higher ceiling than Frazier. 

I was responding to the poster who suggested that calling Westburg up would somehow immediately solve/fix any issues with hitting LH pitching, when more than likely he will struggle to acclimated to the bigs like almost all prospect do in this era. 

Ok, gotcha.  And I totally agree with you.  As to your point, I'd be fine with a month or two of offensive struggles as they adjust to the majors (as long as their defense is solid) since their ceiling is so much higher than our current options.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I thought someone should have been traded in the offseason and he should have been on the opening day roster. That said I also think the options we have (Urias, Frazier, Mateo) are all good, possibly better than Westburg at least short term. Assuming you are calling up Westburg to play every day, who do you bench? 

Westburg should be playing over Vavra, O’Hearn, and McCann(DH), at all times. He can play over Frazier and/or Gunnar when we face LHP. 

3-4 starts a week is not rotting on the bench. Same with Cowser coming up. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Westburg should be playing over Vavra, O’Hearn, and McCann(DH), at all times. He can play over Frazier and/or Gunnar when we face LHP. 

3-4 starts a week is not rotting on the bench. Same with Cowser coming up. 

O'Hearn has done great in his lefty masher spot so Westburg is not an upgrade there. I don't think Vavra and McCann-DH add up to 3-4 starts per week. Even so I would rather Westburg get 5-6 starts per week with a clear role and a long leash. 

• 2 weeks later...

This season at Norfolk Westburg is .325/.384/.597 as of today.  He's raking.  Consistent too with hits in 22 of 27 games so far, so maybe that's his level at Norfolk for the rest of the season give or take.

If the plan is to trade him for pitching then what's the best strategy right now, leave him at Norfolk or bring him up and risk an adjustment period like Gunnar's that could impact his trade value?  Maybe this has been the strategy all along.  If that's the case then I wouldn't hold my breath given that the trade deadline is still a couple of months away.