Westburg is near ready

wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

BS.   The team has to score runs.   Hitting matters also.

It does. But this has absolutely zero to do with my post. There are different things pitchers are dealing with than hitters that go beyond stats.

Westburg has already proven, over larger sample sizes at all levels that he is ready. He didn’t need a good ST to show Elias that. Before ST, Elias said Westburg is close to ready. He knows what he is and what he has.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It does. But this has absolutely zero to do with my post. There are different things pitchers are dealing with than hitters that go beyond stats.

Westburg has already proven, over larger sample sizes at all levels that he is ready. He didn’t need a good ST to show Elias that. Before ST, Elias said Westburg is close to ready. He knows what he is and what he has.

So we agree.   Westburg so far looks better than Frazier.  And has soon as Elias can get 6 + years of him he will be promoted.

Elias is in win mode.  Westburg helps the team win more than Frazier.

9 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Tell that to Odor and Mateo please...

When actually did Elias go into win mode?  Not at the beginning for 2022.  Not even at the deadline when he traded Mancini and Lopez and said the team was a long shot to make the  playoffs.

Elias does not sound like that now.  He openly says he is in win mode.  Don't confuse 2022 with 2023.

2 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Let's see if he's in win now mode when Frazier's hitting .230 with a 78 OPS+ on May 1.

As long as  Westburg is playing over Frazier and the team is winning it will not matter much if Frazier is hitting like that in limited usage.

I've been reading for months how, if you squint hard enough, and if he bounces back from last year, and if he plays some outfield, Adam Frazier makes this team a little better.

As someone who is pretty high on both Urias and Vavra. And as someone who absolutely wants to see Westburg and Ortiz in the bigs this year...

I'm already sick of Frazier and the season hasn't started yet.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When actually did Elias go into win mode?  Not at the beginning for 2022.  Not even at the deadline when he traded Mancini and Lopez and said the team was a long shot to make the  playoffs.

Elias does not sound like that now.  He openly says he is in win mode.  Don't confuse 2022 with 2023.

Looking at what he did over the offseason I question if he really is in win mode.  Other than him talking, I haven't seen much real evidence of that, certainly not in his off season signings and not in the decisions made so far in spring training.  So the jury is out on if we really are in win mode, and even if we are just what that means under Elias.  Elias has almost always said the right things, but his actions have been a mixed bag at this point.  Great on drafting and developing hitters so far, but questionable on promoting them and improving the MLB club.  We will see.  

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My message is  "Wake Up" and understand what is happening now.

Elias as more information now.   A month more.

Elias just sent Grayson to AAA.  Why?  Because he had 5 starters that are better.   In SPRING TRAINING.    You think ST does not matter?   It mattered to Elias and Grayson.

A month ago Elias didn't know how Westburg would do in ST.  Now he does.  878 OPS.  

A month ago Elias didn't know how Frazier would do in ST.  Now he does.  597 OPS.

I would think that Frazier would want to impress his new manager, coaches and teammates.  And that he would know he is competing for playing time at 2nd base with Urias, Vavra, Westburg and Ortiz.   597 is not going to cut it.

ST mattered to Elias and Grayson about starting.   Why would it not matter about 2nd base?

I think Frazier has 17 days to turn it around.   Do I know its 17 days?  No.  It could be 30 days.  But Elias knows that last year the team went 7-14 in April.  And he does not want that to happen again.

Elias is in win mode.   He will play his best players.  And he is going to pay the 8m whether Frazier starts a lot or a little.   The important thing is to win.

I agree with you, for the most part. I think Frazier has closer to 2 months though. I don’t think 17 days is really enough time to evaluate much of anything. 

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Looking at what he did over the offseason I question if he really is in win mode.  Other than him talking, I haven't seen much real evidence of that, certainly not in his off season signings and not in the decisions made so far in spring training.  So the jury is out on if we really are in win mode, and even if we are just what that means under Elias.  Elias has almost always said the right things, but his actions have been a mixed bag at this point.  Great on drafting and developing hitters so far, but questionable on promoting them and improving the MLB club.  We will see.  

The club won 83 last year primarily on the young players and the bullpen acquisition and development.   A full year of Adley puts them at 89 wins.  And that does not include adding the best prospect in baseball in Gunnar. 

If I consider that the way this team improves is through developing and promoting young players and the Gunnar, GRod, Westburg, Cowser, Hall, Ortiz and maybe even Kjerstad may join the team this year I feel pretty good about what is going on.

Elias uses FA as stop gaps that will be replaced as soon as the young players are ready.  So its not about winning the off season.  Its about winning through acquisition and development of young players.

6 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I agree with you, for the most part. I think Frazier has closer to 2 months though. I don’t think 17 days is really enough time to evaluate much of anything. 

A month and 17 days.  ST matters.   Elias has shown that with Grayson.