Final grade for the Orioles’ 2022-23 offseason?

Frobby

Final grade for the Orioles 2022-23 offseason?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your final grade for the O’s 2022-23 offseason?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/30/23 at 20:21

I went with D.

Gibson and Frazier are bad signings. Irvin was a solid trade but with Gibson also being in the rotation, it really limits upside. We all know both these pitchers will be around a 5.00 ERA at the end of the season. McCann was a solid pickup for backup C but that’s a very insignificant piece of the roster. Givens was an okay signing, but if you took all the money given to Gibson, Frazier, Givens, and McCann and put it towards a player with a chance of actually helping, it’d be a different story.

17 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

I don't think those "hamstring" moves are even in his DNA, he is a draft and develop guy. Maybe he can grow into "significant FA acquisition" EVP but I don't think JA will give him that much rope.

He has yet to show any interest in taking on risk. That will need to change if the Orioles are to ever augment their young talent coming through the pipeline.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

I went with D.

Gibson and Frazier are bad signings. Irvin was a solid trade but with Gibson also being in the rotation, it really limits upside. We all know both these pitchers will be around a 5.00 ERA at the end of the season. 

I don’t think we know that at all.  Could happen, but that’s a pretty pessimistic take.  

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

He has yet to show any interest in taking on risk. That will need to change if the Orioles are to ever augment their young talent coming through the pipeline.

I agree he hasn’t taken big risks.  But that may be because he’s concluded that now is not the right time to be taking them, rather than him just being incurably risk-averse.   We’ll see.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I agree he hasn’t taken big risks.  But that may be because he’s concluded that now is not the right time to be taking them, rather than him just being incurably risk-averse.   We’ll see.

He hasn't taken any medium risks.

Everything we've seen so far points to him being risk adverse.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree, we will see. I don't think we'll really know for another offseason. We also don't know what kind of finanical limitations he's under with a budget. Afterall, Chris Davis is the 2nd highest paid player/former player in the organization. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He hasn't taken any medium risks.

Everything we've seen so far points to him being risk adverse.

I tend to agree with this, but I don't think we can make a final decision on that yet. So far, even how he drafts (he doesn't draft pitchers high and goes after mostly college bats early), he's a bit risk adverse. We'll see.

Just now, waroriole said:

That’s another reason to justify a lower grade. Doesn’t seem there was any effort made to extend good young players. 

There is no way to know what efforts were made.   Elias has made it clear that he won’t discuss this publicly because any negotiations need to be privately handled.   And Elias has proven repeatedly that his front office is leak-proof.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

There is no way to know what efforts were made.   Elias has made it clear that he won’t discuss this publicly because any negotiations need to be privately handled.   And Elias has proven repeatedly that his front office is leak-proof.  

I’m not concerned about what efforts were made. Just results. Of course it’s easy to be leak proof when there’s nothing to leak. 😉