I can't get over how much Angelos has killed off the fanbase

Greenpastures23

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

To me it's not really about the increase.  It's about the total number.

If we're saying it's going to take several years of winning to get to 2 million fans than we're in esscence saying that is the ceiling of our potential attendance.

That used to be the floor.  That's problematic.

In addition to the success or failure of the team, the following factors have come into play in the last 20 years:

1.  Washington got a team.   

2.  The 2015 riots hurt Baltimore’s reputation as a safe place to visit.  

3.  COVID interrupted a season, and kept people away from ballparks for a full year.  Some of those people may not come back.  

Those are all factors that lower the ceiling and the floor of what we can expect.  But I still think that the ceiling is higher than 2 mm, with a few years of winning.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

In addition to the success or failure of the team, the following factors have come into play in the last 20 years:

3.  COVID interrupted a season, and kept people away from ballparks for a full year.  Some of those people may not come back.  

Those are all factors that lower the ceiling and the floor of what we can expect.  But I still think that the ceiling is higher than 2 mm, with a few years of winning.

I also think the long-term demographic decline of baseball is a factor as well, and might in the end be the biggest.  Baseball is far behind as a the third most popular sport with the younger generations.

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Fanduel & all the other betting non-sense will have the fan base broke by the time they are able Compete.  What betting in sports is doing to everything is sickening. 

I thought I was in the minority on this one, but I agree 100%. If you need to bet on a game to enjoy/watch it them you should probably find another hobby. It also seems ridiculously hypocryitcal considering how long MLB and the other leagues turned up their noses at gambling until they had a chance to make a buck. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think the vast majority of people don't even think of or rememeber the 2015 riots, unless they're trying to make a point about how unsafe the City is. It's just low hanging fruit. 

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

I guess that's kind of my point/concern.  This team drew over 2 million in 2007 after nine straight losing seasons.  They topped 2 million in 2012 after 14 consecutive losing seasons.

If they can't get to 2 million this year then the team's fanbase has been permanently reduced in a way that even winning won't solve.

This is an unbelievably great point. This should be absolutely frightening to anyone in the warehouse when put in this context. What has gone on the last few yrs pales in comparison to that era. Not even remotely similar actually. And they STILL pulled 2m! I honestly wonder if they could ever pull 2m again. EVER. They have infinitely more things working against them now then they did in 2007 even though this "shouldn't" be a worse situation as far as recent team success goes. Outside of that when you factor in population decline, the general state of the city and downtown in general, economy, home experience improvement......at least off the field it is looking pretty bleak when it comes to attendance. 

I think this is the interview mentioned above.

https://www.audacy.com/podcast/inside-access-with-jason-lacanfora-and-ken-weinman-8804a/episodes/john-angelos-joined-inside-access-e3dba

He's trashing the Sun and he's not going to open the books. He didn't come right out and say he wasn't, but based on his answers, he's not going to.

Edited by spleen1015

I gotta say as a person from the area who grew up a die hard Orioles fan and have been one for most of my life (I'm in my 40's now). 

The Angelos family has really zapped much of my passion. It's like how many times can Charlie Brown have the football pulled by Lucy before he realizes "maybe I shouldn't keep trying to kick it?"

After this past offseason (the inactivity combine with the lies/unkept promises) it really had an adverse effect on my passion for the team. It's almost like I'm telling myself not to get too invested anymore because "you know in the end, the Angelos family will only do something to pull the rug from under you".

I think it's not very realistic to think all the Orioles have to do is have a good young team and be around .500 and fans should just come pouring in. The brand has burned a heck of a lot of bridges in the community. And I'm afraid that many people have moved on or are consuming sports differently. There is much data to suggest that much of Gens Y and Z do not even watch/consume live sports.

Another thing to consider - If you think the public will always maintain a certain relationship with how they interact with certain industries, I think post-pandemic that has not proven to be the case.

Just take a look at movie attendance before and after or look at church attendance (live) pre and post-pandemic. Things have changed for many industries, why should professional sports be any different?

Edited by Bemorewins