Opening Day Impressions

Moose Milligan

There's a lot to unpack here:

Adley is God.

Offense can be potent.  Seemed to be a focus on taking pitches, working the count.  And this can be a really fun offense, too.  I hope they run like this all season.

Frazier was good today.  Will make contact and spray it around, he's not going to be a whiff machine like Odor was.  

Outfield defense so far leaves a bit to be desired.  Mullins should have had that ball in the first, Santander misjudged one in the later innings that should have been an easy out.  

Gibson was mostly sharp, I can see why they wanted him.  Could be an uptick from Lyles.

I wrote earlier about the bullpen scaring me this season, this game didn't do anything to put those fears to bed.  This game should have been 10-4, 10-5.  Felix Bautista scares me, too, I don't think he's anywhere near automatic and I said that last year and I said it again last week.  Great guy, great story but I'm not sure if he's the permanent door-slammer for us.

Overall, a really fun day for the most part but it didn't have to be as scary as it was.  I hate that we let them back into this game.  Should have been a tone setter for the series and the season.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I missed the game d/t work.  Does it look like speed/stealing bases will be a lot more important this year?  I noticed that Boston had no steals.  That could be a big advantage for the O's.

If you’ve got guys like ours, there will be a distinct advantage. The Sox catcher didn’t even try to throw anyone out, IIRC. 

Will be curious to see how we do at preventing the running game against other teams that have speed threats. 

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Whew. The offense carried us. The defense left a lot to be desired. The bullpen looks like a trainwreck. We might need Grayson in the pen. Until Tate and/or Givens comes back. That’s if we don’t want to give away games in April that cost us the playoffs. 

Grayson to the rotation and Wells to the bullpen might be the move before the end of April.