Baltimore Sun on John Angelos interview

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

If you remember in a prior search that many GM's turned down the Oriokes job and that is why they ended up with Danny D. Dan was out of baseball awhile when they hired him.

Right, and all he did was give the Orioles their best run of success since the early 80s until Angelos took his power away because he had the gull to entertain an offer for a higher position and more money!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

His comments yesterday were absolutely unhinged. And it totally detracted from the great storylines happening on Opening Day. Which isn't an accident, of course. It's by design. 

I can't believe we're about to suffer through more decades of an arguably even more self-obsessed, combative, and hypocritical Angelos. I honestly did not expect him to be worse than his father, but here we are. 

He lucked into signing Elias and now we just have to hope this absolute lunatic doesn't screw up everything that's been built simply because a reporter asked him a question he didn't like. 

What's worse is that it appears he's determined to be extremely visible this season, so we're only going to hear more from this idiot. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

They are. That’s another point. 

He was talking to Weinman and JLC on 105.7. 

So he talks to hosts at the all sports station while the Orioles game was going on still? That’s what I’m trying to figure out. I can’t imagine the Flagship station would be pleased about that.  

I was listening on WBAL and I heard the interview. The hosts were joking he had to stay on with them until an O's rally ended.

Edit: I assumed it was the same one, anyway, but now it sounds like there was another one!

Edited by blid

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he ever intended to open the books.

I don't think he's that stupid.

I don't think he intended to either, although he's clearly stupid enough to walk into this minefield wide-eyed and whistling.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

His comments yesterday were absolutely unhinged. And it totally detracted from the great storylines happening on Opening Day. Which isn't an accident, of course. It's by design. 

I can't believe we're about to suffer through more decades of an arguably even more self-obsessed, combative, and hypocritical Angelos. I honestly did not expect him to be worse than his father, but here we are. 

He lucked into signing Elias and now we just have to hope this absolute lunatic doesn't screw up everything that's been built simply because a reporter asked him a question he didn't like. 

What's worse is that it appears he's determined to be extremely visible this season, so we're only going to hear more from this idiot. 

Totally agree. The guy is a buffoon pure and simple. Might actually be WORSE than his father. I am starting to feel like this team will not be sold and we will be stuck w/ mediocrity for decades more to come. Prove me wrong John! Extend Adley and Gunnar and sign some bigger free agents next off season.

I don't have any reason to believe that John will ever go away.  I am not a Washington football fan, but it is a lot like Dan Snyder.  These owners are universally despised and they just never sell and leave.  Approval ratings around 5% (if that) and it doesn't matter to them. Fascinating personalities, honestly.  

As other "small" market teams extend or sign players and we basically do nothing, the evidence so far is we have a cheap loser of an owner who doesn't have a competitive bone in his body.  Makes sense, since his life has been gift wrapped since birth.  I'll be very happy to say I was wrong if we do anything other than 1 year contracts for relative nickels.  The real test will be if we are holding a playoff spot in late July.