Prospect Power Rankings 2023

Tony-OH

52 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Seeing this list/thread makes me happy. Let’s play some ball!  If Kjerstad is our #12 we’re going to very very happy fans.  

I didn't really change any rankings from the end of last year besides jumping Holliday over Rodriguez to start the year. Kjerstad could make a big jump early after his spring and if he gest off to a hot start at Bowie.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks @Tony-OH

I think there's an argument that can be made to have Westburg #3 if these are power rankings.  Big ST.  Off to a good start.  Overall, he has 19 HR 77 RBI in 94 AAA games.  

He's off to quite the good start for sure. I'll update the real 1st update for the year after this week's of games. Might be hard for him to jump to #3 in the initial rankings but he could see #3 at some point if he keeps it up.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/dylans-prospect-breakout-team-for-2023/

OF Dylan Beavers, Orioles
High-A Aberdeen • Age: 21

With plus grades for power, speed and arm strength, Beavers has a high floor and the ability to play any outfield position. If he could approach even an average hit tool, he would be a potential offensive monster. After drafting him in the supplemental first round, the Orioles altered Beavers' swing, and the returns were immediate: his contact rate, in-zone contact rate and ability to lay off pitches out of the zone were all above-average to plus when compared to his peers in the Carolina League. More impressively, in a small pro sample, Beavers managed to hit 16% of his batted balls at 95 mph or harder between a launch angle of 10 and 30 degrees—optimal hard contact—which was well above the league average of 11%. Beavers has a chance to advance to the cozy confines of Double-A Bowie by year’s end as a 21-year-old.

LHP Juan Rojas, Orioles
Extended spring training • Age: 19

I’m going off the beaten path for this pitcher spot. Part of the Orioles' return from the Twins for Jorge Lopez, Rojas already shows advanced control of three pitches as a teenager. As he matures, his fastball could develop into an above-average pitch. Purely from a data perspective, Rojas looked like one of the more impressive Rookie complex league pitchers last year with a strikeout-to-walk ratio not much different than that of more well-known Jarlin Susana. The Orioles' pitcher development apparatus has been excellent, and I expect them to refine Rojas’ abilities. Look for Rojas to join Low-A Delmarva after he is built up at extended spring training.

• Upvote 3

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/50-prospects-standing-out-to-scouts-in-2023-spring-training/

Chayce McDermott, RHP, Orioles

McDermott was Houston’s fourth-rounder in 2019 out of Ball State who was subsequently dealt to the Orioles as part of the three-team swap that helped Trey Mancini land with the Astros. The righthander struggled a bit last year upon reaching Double-A, where he allowed too much contact and too many walks. On the backfields this spring, he’s shown a promising mix of a mid-90s fastball that has peaked at 98 mph as well as a slider and a curveball that each flashed average potential. There’s a changeup in the mix as well, but it is a distinct fourth pitch. McDermott’s longer arm stroke may hinder his command, but his raw stuff is enough for him to remain intriguing.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

When is the first update?   How far does Kjerstad move up from 12 and where does Trace Bright debut on this list?

I thought the updates were weekly last year.

I see Bright debuting in the top 20 and Denoyer making a big jump. 

Who do you move down for Kjerstad? Despite the strong start against Double A pitching, I can’t say definitively he’s a better prospect than any of the players ahead of him. 

I think DL Hall sees the biggest drop in the first rankings. Still probably in the top ten. 

Edited by ChuckS