Prospect Power Rankings 2023

Tony-OH

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

May 1st list..

If you were to tier that 3-12 (and maybe that’s not a great breakpoint), how would you group them?  Part of what I’m curious about is who Povich would group together with?  (And I get this is a power ranking, not a traditional ranking.)

I tend to agree that Cano’s power ranking should be higher because he’s actually doing what might be the best outcome for Hall.

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Cano is eligible come next list, then he should be #1 since this is a power ranking. He’s been worth 1.7 WAR with 0 ER, 0BB, in 21 IP. He’s an All Star. 

That's not how this works. It's not only on this year's performance, but also their overall value over their career. As good as Cano has been, and he's be amazing, he's 29 years old and would you really trade Holliday before Cano? 

I do think he'll keep climbing before graduating.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

That's not how this works. It's not only on this year's performance, but also their overall value over their career. As good as Cano has been, and he's be amazing, he's 29 years old and would you really trade Holliday before Cano? 

I do think he'll keep climbing before graduating.

I don’t really know what these lists are, though they’re fun to look at.  They’re kind of a blend of who you like over the long term and who’s hot at the moment, no?  Otherwise, your long-term rankings wouldn’t fluctuate as much as this list does.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really know what these lists are, though they’re fun to look at.  They’re kind of a blend of who you like over the long term and who’s hot at the moment, no?  Otherwise, your long-term rankings wouldn’t fluctuate as much as this list does.  

They are basically an unofficial prospects rankings that enables folks to see how guys are doing. They don't come with the rigor of all the overall scouting and conversations that the final list uses to determine placement. 

If I have guys that are close, I'll jump a guy up over them with some sustained good play. I won't just jump a guy doing well over another if I still like that player more as a prospect, regardless of the current stats. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I had never heard of Jake Lyons before he just missed a Double Digit strikeout game in a long relief appearance.

He's Jackson Holliday's 24-year old Lance Lynn sized Ironbird teammate who was a 20th something round pick, but he's today's org K-BB leader on the year across the minors.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,12,13,15,16,17,18,30,32,33&stats=pit&qual=10&type=1&team=&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=2&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

Is it time to put Delmarva reliever Yaqui Rivera on the watch list?  He was acquired from the Marlins in the Tanner Scott/Cole Sulser trade.  He pitched at Delmarva last year and didn’t set the world on fire (6.17 ERA, 1.571 WHiP) but did strike out 11.8 per 9 as an 18-year old.  Now at the ripe old age of 19, in 11 innings over 7 games he’s posted a 0.82 ERA, 0.909 WHIP, and 13.9 K/9.  He’s yielded 7 walks but only 3 hits.  Probably too early in the year to get overly excited, but those are nice numbers from a 19-year old.  

On 5/11/2023 at 7:15 AM, Just Regular said:

I had never heard of Jake Lyons before he just missed a Double Digit strikeout game in a long relief appearance.

He's Jackson Holliday's 24-year old Lance Lynn sized Ironbird teammate who was a 20th something round pick, but he's today's org K-BB leader on the year across the minors.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,12,13,15,16,17,18,30,32,33&stats=pit&qual=10&type=1&team=&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=2&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

I knew a scout a few years ago that liked him, but I was never really on him. I never thought he had a consistent out pitch and makes too many mistakes. He's just kind of one of those blah stuff guys that is 24-years old in High-A ball for a reason. 

Now, saying that, I have not seen him this year because the Sally League is an absolute hole for good MilbTV broadcasts. If he has some sustained success I'm sure he get his chance in AA and I'll get another read on him. Sometimes you never know what these guys do from year to year to remake themselves so maybe he's found something interesting to work from. Either way, that was a real nice outing for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Is it time to put Delmarva reliever Yaqui Rivera on the watch list?  He was acquired from the Marlins in the Tanner Scott/Cole Sulser trade.  He pitched at Delmarva last year and didn’t set the world on fire (6.17 ERA, 1.571 WHiP) but did strike out 11.8 per 9 as an 18-year old.  Now at the ripe old age of 19, in 11 innings over 7 games he’s posted a 0.82 ERA, 0.909 WHIP, and 13.9 K/9.  He’s yielded 7 walks but only 3 hits.  Probably too early in the year to get overly excited, but those are nice numbers from a 19-year old.  

I saw him earlier in the year during a nice outing but wasn't blown away by him. If I remember correctly, he was 91-92 who flashed a nice slider occasionally, but I'll have to relook at my notes when I get a chance. I am keeping an eye on him though. The Orioles must not think too much of his durability and stuff since he's pitching purely in relief and has gone over two innings only once and has been kept under 25 pitches in his last five outings. He'll need to pick up velocity if he's only a reliever. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DanS said:

I'm curious what grade @Tony-OH has on Ardoin's arm.  A runner on Friday night had a ridiculously good jump on the pitcher, and Ardoin still nearly got the ball to second on time. 

I  know he has a plus arm from all reports, but I have not timed him yet. I read that he had a 60 type arm.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, Tony-OH said:

These "power rankings" are a fun way to track prospects throughout the year. They are not "official" prospect rankings that are completed at the end of the year after a full evaluations. To be eligible for the list, a player must play at least one game on an active roster. Players starting off in extended spring training or in the DSL are not eligible until they play a game in June. The list will be increased to 40 players once the short season clubs start up. (Updated as of 8 May)

RK Name POS PR U/D Team INJ
1 Jackson Holliday SS 1   ABN (A+)  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   BAL  
3 Joey Ortiz SS 3   Nor (AAA)  
4 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 4   Nor (AAA)  
5 Heston Kjerstad 1B 5   BOW (AA)  
6 Colton Cowser OF 6   Nor (AAA)  
7 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 8 Up BOW (AA)  
8 Cade Povich LHP 9 Up BOW (AA)  
9 Samuel Basallo C 7 Down DEL (A)  
10 D.L. Hall LHP 10   Nor (AAA)  
11 Connor Norby 2B 11   Nor (AAA)