Connor Norby 2023

glenn__davis

On 8/6/2023 at 8:42 PM, IPlayGM said:

I realize that has been the pattern, but I would be surprised if it continues for him. Exception being if he has a prolonged period of struggle or just average play.

Why waste service time if the team is winning?  He could very likely net a draft pick. 

Edited by emmett16

23 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

I realize that has been the pattern, but I would be surprised if it continues for him. Exception being if he has a prolonged period of struggle or just average play.

Right, it all depends how he does.   He couid be up pretty early next year if his progression continues like it has so far. 

17 hours ago, Malike said:

I could have sworn Norby was on top 100 lists, but I see the new list he's gone. Kjerstad is up to 28 on the updated list, though.

I seem to remember he was on at least one list but I don't remember which one. 

EDIT: He was added to the MLB Pipeline top 100 in April due to graduations from the list. I guess he didn't stay on there long. 

Edited by MCO'sFan
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I seem to remember he was on at least one list but I don't remember which one. 

EDIT: He was added to the MLB Pipeline top 100 in April due to graduations from the list. I guess he didn't stay on there long. 

It seems they added a bunch from the current '23 draft class and that likely bumped him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

No chance unless he is hurt or isn’t playing well.

I think they use his talent to net a first round pick.  Maybe he gets his feet wet this year and starts the season in MLB next year.  I think the opportunity for the extra pick has to be part of the calculus.  

2 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Any other year we would be clamoring for him to be called up.  Now we are so loaded he probably wont come up till next year if he does.  He has said the might want to be traded because he isnt stupid and sees the insane competition ahead of him.  His stats scream that he is going to be a quality major leaguer for someone soon.

7 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Any other year we would be clamoring for him to be called up.  Now we are so loaded he probably wont come up till next year if he does.  He has said the might want to be traded because he isnt stupid and sees the insane competition ahead of him.  His stats scream that he is going to be a quality major leaguer for someone soon.

He's a young 23.  I imagine he gets another full year of AAA and plays as back-up to injury next year.  It's tough to have the talent around you, but in all honesty, there is nothing better for his development.  If you want to be good and make the show you have to be better than everyone, that's all there is to it.  He's got to find ways to improve.  Going somewhere where he is the #1 guy and isn't pushing himself as hard isn't doing him any favors.  If his skillset warrants it, he will play in the MLB.  He's in a tough spot, I hope he has the mental make-up to not let it get to him and to keep pushing.  The end result could be something special.  Iron sharpens Iron. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, emmett16 said:

He's a young 23.  I imagine he gets another full year of AAA and plays as back-up to injury next year.  It's tough to have the talent around you, but in all honesty, there is nothing better for his development.  If you want to be good and make the show you have to be better than everyone, that's all there is to it.  He's got to find ways to improve.  Going somewhere where he is the #1 guy and isn't pushing himself as hard isn't doing him any favors.  If his skillset warrants it, he will play in the MLB.  He's in a tough spot, I hope he has the mental make-up to not let it get to him and to keep pushing.  The end result could be something special.  Iron sharpens Iron. 

At some point he will have to be put on the 40 man. You cant simply horde prospects forever. You can only deny the dream for so long before another team has the right to give him the opportunity. There are limits to burying a guy permanently in your system. 

5 hours ago, brucewayne said:

At some point he will have to be put on the 40 man. You cant simply horde prospects forever. You can only deny the dream for so long before another team has the right to give him the opportunity. There are limits to burying a guy permanently in your system. 

You are correct.  He doesn't have to go onto the 40 man until after the 2024 season.  

I feel bad for someone like Norby. On another team he probably has a shot at a call up right now, and definitely a shot at the roster next season. For the orioles he’s barely in the discussion.

Playing careers don’t last forever, it feels like there should be a better way for minor leaguers to be able to move rather than being help as depth at triple A