Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's going to be a lot more work (and expense) to move it back in compared to moving it back.

They could do a Memorial Stadium type temporary fence from Elrod's corner to the foul pole and make that area for fans.  I don't think this will happen.  I really enjoy the new configurations.  

I also don't see Mayo hitting any wall scrapers.  

1 hour ago, TheWall said:

Definitely agree with this sentiment. It was certainly convenient when JJ Hardy was poking balls out in LF, but it was at the expense of our entire pitching staff. 

It shouldn't have been impacting the O's pitching staff any more than the visiting pitching staffs. Everyone was pitching with the same dimensions. 

33 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

They could do a Memorial Stadium type temporary fence from Elrod's corner to the foul pole and make that area for fans.  I don't think this will happen.  I really enjoy the new configurations.  

I also don't see Mayo hitting any wall scrapers.  

I still don't like the wall, but I don't see Elias wanting to make any changes to it for as long as he's around. 

2 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

This is good to see.  He struggled with a couple of these plays in ML ST earlier this year when I saw him up close and also a couple times a Bowie on TV. He’s got the arm strength of course, it’s just his footwork that was a bit off.  Seems to be coming to him more naturally now based off this play. 

Also still a firm believer that if he moves positions, RF is the better option over 1B. He’s not a burner with foot speed but he’s more than athletic enough to handle RF IMO. 

On 8/14/2023 at 11:04 AM, Orioles Jim said:

Mayo is -5.4 than the league average so a bit of scuffling to begin was likely to be expected (though my homer self was of course hoping he'd explode on the scene).

Still, over the last 7 days (21 PA), he's slashing 294/.429 /.647 /1.076, so hopefully he's breaking out now!

And now, 10 days, later, he's slashing 278/435/556/990 in AAA, so he's still red hot.

If he keeps this up he’s our Austin Riley. Riley had a lot of questions about his defense at third too, both in the minors and in his first year in the bigs.  He’s since put all of those to bed. Riley is listed at 6’3” 240. Similar body types. 

Edited by scarey1999

1 hour ago, scarey1999 said:

If he keeps this up he’s our Austin Riley. Riley had a lot of questions about his defense at third too, both in the minors and in his first year in the bigs.  He’s since put all of those to bed. Riley is listed at 6’3” 240. Similar body types. 

Wow here does Westburg play, assuming you put Holiday at second?

11 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Wow here does Westburg play, assuming you put Holiday at second?

I have zero clue how all of this plays out. I enjoy the armchair quarterbacking to some degree and definitely love to see what other folks think about how our treasure chest of IF prospects play out.

But to me, there are way too many unknowns at this time to be able to predict any of that related to who ends up where on rosters in ‘24, ‘25 and beyond. Like everyone else, I’m curious to see how Elias and co handle all of this. I trust them to do the right thing. Good problem to have, for sure. 

No doubt he starts next year in AAA.  I dont see him winning a spot in spring training.  But honestly where are you going to put him?  Westburg looks decent.  Ortiz should be SS or 2nd.  Mayo might just push Westburg off third?    

This is more problems than I think the Orioles have ever had before.