Joey Ortiz 2023

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

As many people have pointed out and lamented repeatedly, this is where the Frazier signing proves to be detrimental to the overall productivity of the major league team. Frazier is blocking both Ortiz and Westburg. A lot of MLB teams would love to have those two players on their major league roster right now.

It was just a nonsensical signing for the amount of money Frazier costs.

Could Ortiz hit a walk-off fielder's choice? I don't think so. 

• Haha 2

Oooh I have a suggestion... since the guy playing shortstop at the big league level is playing great and since the guy behind him is a more talent 1:1 doing very well, why don't we leave him where he is for now and allow him to keep killing it at AAA? That way his trade value goes up even more and we can move him as part of a deadline package to get the kind of starter we will need for a postseason run.

How does that sound? ... I hope everyone is aware and has accepted that not all of our great positional prospects will find a place on the O's. This is what happens when you draft so one-sided toward position players AND you develop them so well.

It's a GREAT problem to have!

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

I'd be surprised if it's not Ortiz at second, Mateo at short and Henderson at third the next two years. I think Norby will have to DH or play left due to his defense compared to the others.

If Ortiz plays second, where does that leave Westburg? If Norby plays left, where does that leave Hays or Cowser? If he's DH, where does that leave Kjerstad?

There are only so many places to put guys. Wouldn't it make logical sense to take the excess and trade for a front of the rotation starter?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If Ortiz plays second, where does that leave Westburg? If Norby plays left, where does that leave Hays or Cowser? If he's DH, where does that leave Kjerstad?

There are only so many places to put guys. Wouldn't it make logical sense to take the excess and trade for a front of the rotation starter?

Yeah, some of them should be moved for a starting pitcher. I think Westburg goes and some of the outfielders. I get the feeling Elias would like the elite defense in the infield we'd have with the trio I mentioned.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, some of them should be moved for a starting pitcher. I think Westburg goes and some of the outfielders. I get the feeling Elias would like the elite defense in the infield we'd have with the trio I mentioned.

It really doesn't matter to me what prospect gets moved as long as it's not Holiday or guys already on the Major League roster. I'm more concerned with acquiring the right pitcher because that is the piece that we don't have now but will need for post season success.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why are you concerned about Westburg.  Ortiz is clearly the better defender and he might be the better hitter too.   I agree with Orioles22.   Westburg could still be a super utility guy, a 1B, or LF.   Some will get traded.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It really doesn't matter to me what prospect gets moved as long as it's not Holiday or guys already on the Major League roster. I'm more concerned with acquiring the right pitcher because that is the piece that we don't have now but will need for post season success.

I want Adley and Gunnar to stay long term, but we aren't keeping everyone on the major league roster with guys like Cowser, Ortiz, Norby and others on the way. I don't mind watching Norfolk win a league title this year like the old Rochester teams of the 70s, but they have to make room for 3-5 of them next year.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Why are you concerned about Westburg.  Ortiz is clearly the better defender and he might be the better hitter too.   I agree with Orioles22.   Westburg could still be a super utility guy, a 1B, or LF.   Some will get traded.

I'm not too concerned with Westburg, Ortiz, or any of the other prospects that we have not named Holiday. Some will stay and do well and I will be happy to cheer them on. But others will need to go. I see Ortiz, Westburg, Norby, Mayo, Cowser and Kjerstad as redundant assets. They may all be good, but some of them overlap in terms of playing similar positions or playing positions that we already have major league players at. If any of their trade values are higher than the guys at the big league level, then it should be a no-brainer about who/which ones get moved. The more important piece to me is the frontline pitcher who we don't have.

I want Adley and Gunnar to stay long term, but we aren't keeping everyone on the major league roster with guys like Cowser, Ortiz, Norby and others on the way. I don't mind watching Norfolk win a league title this year like the old Rochester teams of the 70s, but they have to make room for 3-5 of them next year.

I don't know if that is the right strategy. If the prospects have more trade value, then move them or a combination. For example, I would rather move Ortiz than Mateo if Ortiz has higher trade value. Because either one of them is merely a place holder for Holiday who will take over at shortstop in a year to a year and a half.

If conversely, let's say a major leaguer like Santander has more trade value than a prospect like Cowser or Kjerstad, then you move Santander.

All I'm saying is the most valuable commodity come the post season is very good starting pitching.

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

That's exactly what is going to happen Elias will trade for a TOR starting pitching at some point with all these prospects rising through the system.

*This assume ownership has the appetite to take on payroll commanded by a top flight pitcher.

I think Ortiz is the O's starting 2B in about a week.  He hits 200 PA  at AAA (over 2022-23)  and the way he is hitting he could help an O's offense that has gone cold.   Frazier to right field vs righties.   Vavra to AAA.  Santander right field vs lefties/DH vs righties.

That is my best guess.  Hard to ignore a 900 OPS and great defense at AAA when the O's are not scoring runs.

Edited by wildcard

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think Ortiz is the O's starting 2B in about a week.  He hits 200 PA  at AAA (over 2022-23)  and the way he is hitting he could help an O's offense that has gone cold.   Frazier to right field vs righties.   Vavra to AAA.  Santander right field vs lefties/DH vs righties.

That is my best guess.  Hard to ignore a 900 OPS and great defense at AAA when the O's are not scoring runs.

This would be very surprising, almost shocking, if they actually made the moves (Ortiz to 2B, Frazier to part time) you are mentioning.

• Upvote 2

I hope they pay Adley and Gunnar, but some of you are delusional if you think they are going to pay everyone currently on the roster. Ortiz, Cowser and Kjerstad are going to be rookies and be much cheaper. They may trade a couple prospect, but I think Ortiz will be playing second base for the Orioles in 2024 and beyond.

I think Ortiz may be able to play with the Orioles now, but I can't see them doing that before July at the earliest, especially with the team winning.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This would be very surprising, almost shocking, if they actually made the moves (Ortiz to 2B, Frazier to part time) you are mentioning.

While the O's starters are improving, going later in games, the offense is not.    Looking at how tough May's schedule is the O's need to find a way to help the offense.

The best way I see is to call up Ortiz in about a week.  And he has to play a lot to give him a chance to hit in the majors.   Ortiz in not going to replace Mateo at short barring an injury.   He is not going to play 3B with Gunnar and Urias there.      2B is his best shot at get a lot of playing time.   

Frazier can play RF.  He is more mobile than Santander who can DH.   Vavra has been playing the outfield but I can see Vavra being optioned to promote Ortiz.

For me it mostly about trying to find a way to boost the offense going into May when they play the big boys.