Update: Home Opener postponed due to stormy weather until Friday!

SteveA

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s not stupid.  They traded a day with a good chance of disruptive weather for a day when that risk doesn’t exist.  By not waiting they gave people time to adjust their plans.  

No, they traded a day that had an overrated potential for a storm that may have happened during the game for a day of much colder, cloudier conditions.

Had they done the right research, they could have said that they have info that the storm may not happen and they want to wait until the morning. 

https://www.facebook.com/100063455414986/posts/pfbid06uwVaiATunRvij4AtmNegrUriyTiSMx4gF9Y6KzHKGFXf2dg2hDrbpHp3QkNyNXQl/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No, they traded a day that had an overrated potential for a storm that may have happened during the game for a day of much colder, cloudier conditions.

Had they done the right research, they could have said that they have info that the storm may not happen and they want to wait until the morning. 

https://www.facebook.com/100063455414986/posts/pfbid06uwVaiATunRvij4AtmNegrUriyTiSMx4gF9Y6KzHKGFXf2dg2hDrbpHp3QkNyNXQl/

But if they waited till morning and the storms came in earlier then they did and more violent and they cancelled then people would have complained that they  knew it was coming and now I have to take two days off of work. The storms did come in but later around 6:30 or so .The heavy thunderstorms were south and east of Baltimore. Tough a day in advance to get the exact timing and location a day out.

My question is why are they playing a Saturday night game this early in the season. Going to be in the low to mid 40's later in the game. They used to play the early season games on Saturday around 4pm.

5 hours ago, Going Underground said:

But if they waited till morning and the storms came in earlier then they did and more violent and they cancelled then people would have complained that they  knew it was coming and now I have to take two days off of work. The storms did come in but later around 6:30 or so .The heavy thunderstorms were south and east of Baltimore. Tough a day in advance to get the exact timing and location a day out.

My question is why are they playing a Saturday night game this early in the season. Going to be in the low to mid 40's later in the game. They used to play the early season games on Saturday around 4pm.

This is a good point. They should always schedule Sat and Sun games in the afternoon in April.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is a good point. They should always schedule Sat and Sun games in the afternoon in April.

I think MLB is missing a pretty big opportunity not having a day game every day of the week (M-F). There could be a featured game on National tv (MLBN, ESPN, FS1) and every team would play a day game at least very 2.5 weeks. It generally works out that way, so the big things is getting those games picked up.

I think it would do a lot for increasing league wide knowledge among fans of other teams. As it stands I can watch/listen to an O’s game and then usually I’ll listen to a bit of a west coast team’s game. Would be great to feature players/teams during the week.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I think MLB is missing a pretty big opportunity not having a day game every day of the week (M-F). There could be a featured game on National tv (MLBN, ESPN, FS1) and every team would play a day game at least very 2.5 weeks. It generally works out that way, so the big things is getting those games picked up.

I think it would do a lot for increasing league wide knowledge among fans of other teams. As it stands I can watch/listen to an O’s game and then usually I’ll listen to a bit of a west coast team’s game. Would be great to feature players/teams during the week.

I think the issue is the day game crowds in many cities would be low.

53 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I would love this. Mon & Tues are usually lame with no day games.

Mondays would be hard to have day games since its the 1st game of the series and teams are traveling the night before.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I understand why they postponed the game, but good Lord it would have been much nicer to watch the game yesteday then today with 60 degree weather and sprinkles. 

“Good Lord” is unfortunately why I will now miss my first opening day since 1988.  It was a tradition with dad and I.   Started when I was 4.   IMO  No reason to move the game , especially that far in advance.    But … it is what it is.  

1 minute ago, Keygans said:

“Good Lord” is unfortunately why I will now miss my first opening day since 1988.  It was a tradition with dad and I.   Started when I was 4.   IMO  No reason to move the game , especially that far in advance.    But … it is what it is.  

Well not sure if it was Good Lord or someone who probably still wears a mask indoor in crowds, but the decision was certainly made prematurely. Unless there is a hurricane coming or obviously huge amounts of rain on the radar heading our way, games should not be called due to a threat of thunderstorms. 

It's just way too hard to predict and even early on when it was called, the threat was mainly to our south.

Oh, and can weather guys stop with this BS "marginal" and "slight" thing. Whoever came up with that scale did a poor job of coming up with the names because every time I'm like, "Which one is more of a chance, marginal or slight? They both basically mean the same thing!" 

The scale should be "High, moderate, and low." Ok, I'm off my weather man rant! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well not sure if it was Good Lord or someone who probably still wears a mask indoor in crowds, but the decision was certainly made prematurely. Unless there is a hurricane coming or obviously huge amounts of rain on the radar heading our way, games should not be called due to a threat of thunderstorms. 

It's just way too hard to predict and even early on when it was called, the threat was mainly to our south.

Oh, and can weather guys stop with this BS "marginal" and "slight" thing. Whoever came up with that scale did a poor job of coming up with the names because every time I'm like, "Which one is more of a chance, marginal or slight? They both basically mean the same thing!" 

I'm a meteorologist and confusion over marginal versus slight comes up in focus groups all of the time.  Not sure why they haven't changed that yet.  I also thought it was an odd decision to postpone the game.  It's not like the forecast was for hours and hours of a low stratus deck,  45 degree temperatures, and moderate rain.  I have no idea but wonder if MLB made the call for all of the northeast sites. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

I'm a meteorologist and confusion over marginal versus slight comes up in focus groups all of the time.  Not sure why they haven't changed that yet.  I also thought it was an odd decision to postpone the game.  It's not like the forecast was for hours and hours of a low stratus deck,  45 degree temperatures, and moderate rain.  I have no idea but wonder if MLB made the call for all of the northeast sites. 

Thanks, good to know I'm not the only one confused over marginal and slight. 

There has to be more to this story since all of the NE games were postponed. Saying that, we know we live in a very risk adverse time so it wasn't overly surprising. It obviously ended up a bad call.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Oh I Completely agree!  I'm just venting too... cuz i remember the "Snow-day Opening Day" against Boston where there were snow flurries, and plenty of rainy opening days.     I think another part of if was it was the Yankees and not a ..."not Yankees" team.     

Thanks also to the meteorologist .   As a mathematician you would think the data models / intangibles are part of some sort of probability scheme.   Its ok if they are "off a bit"  but this one... completely missed the mark.