Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even a month past his 18th birthday and Basallo has a 160 wRC+ in nearly 100 PA at A+. And that’s not even BABIP driven in a small sample - only a .322 BABIP. He’s now showing Kjerstad/Mayo levels of power with a .272 ISO and (almost) Jackson Holliday plate discipline with 16.5 BB% and 17.5 K%. 

Basallo is going to soar up prospect rankings in the offseason re-ranks. I still expect many to be skeptical of his defense, but if any think he has a high likelihood of sticking behind the plate then this is a formula for a top 10 overall prospect. Even if you think he’s a 1B, the bat alone should put him in Mayo-ish top 30 territory. Just crazy age-adjusted levels of production and checks every box there. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

“That is the furthest ball I’ve ever seen hit in this ballpark.   And it’s not even close.”

You know it's a long home run when the outfielders don't move. I mean, the RF didn't even looked like he flinched. Would love to know the distance on that one. 

He's got the most raw power in the system and that's saying something when the system has Kjerstad and Mayo, both almost 3 and 5 1/2 years older than him.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Not even a month past his 18th birthday and Basallo has a 160 wRC+ in nearly 100 PA at A+. And that’s not even BABIP driven in a small sample - only a .322 BABIP. He’s now showing Kjerstad/Mayo levels of power with a .272 ISO and (almost) Jackson Holliday plate discipline with 16.5 BB% and 17.5 K%. 

Basallo is going to soar up prospect rankings in the offseason re-ranks. I still expect many to be skeptical of his defense, but if any think he has a high likelihood of sticking behind the plate then this is a formula for a top 10 overall prospect. Even if you think he’s a 1B, the bat alone should put him in Mayo-ish top 30 territory. Just crazy age-adjusted levels of production and checks every box there. 

The more I watch him behind the plate and look at the numbers, it's not hard to envision him staying behind the dish, especially in some kind of C/DH role with Rutschman. 

I mean, he's got a better arm than Rutschman, he's very flexible, and he moves pretty well back there overall and he's cut his passed balls down significantly from last year.

I'll be honest, he may jump Mayo in the final rankings because as much as I like Mayo, Basallo is out performing him at the same age/level and may actually have a better defensive profile. 

Now Mayo has the advantage of putting damage up in AAA already so I'll have to look at things closer, but one will be 2A and one will be 2B (3).

That plate discipline/power combo is impressive to say the least. Over his last 90 days between Delmarva and Aberdeen he's slashed .317/.446/.599/1.045 with a 46 BB to 43 K ratio, 12 2B, 3 3B, 13 HR over 249 PAs. He's even stolen 10 bases so he's no clog on the base paths.

That is about as impressive as it gets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Yep. 

Pairing him with Adley would be a top shelf combo for a couple of years (until we cash out on one of them).  And even if his defense isn't 100% ready, I wouldn't let that slow the progress of the bat down.  Even if the nuclear option is Basallo at 1B or DH only, I'll still sleep at night.  

It's not hard to imagine him as the #1 prospect heading into 2025.

16 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

This week is it for Aberdeen.     I wonder if he's giving Blood/Elias, etc. enough to take a think and maybe give him a taste of Bowie next week.

Gunnar, Mayo, Holliday and Basallo are all in the mix for most potent Bats of their age in the world.

The '27 Yankees are on notice!  ;)  Old-man Gunnar will be a ripe 26 y/o!

Basallo's SSS A+ stats are more AA worthy than Salas' XSSS at A+ ball.

23 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

This week is it for Aberdeen.     I wonder if he's giving Blood/Elias, etc. enough to take a think and maybe give him a taste of Bowie next week.

Gunnar, Mayo, Holliday and Basallo are all in the mix for most potent Bats of their age in the world.

He should start 2024 in Bowie, so why not let him get some at bats there now? It will only be a week but so what?  He’s on a heater right now and he just missed time due to the concussion, so let him get some more abs in.