Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Basallo making his AA debut less than a month after his 19th birthday is so impressive. 

The fact that we had two 19 year olds in AA this season is impressive.   Basallo is going to make a run at #1 overall prospect sometime next year.

10 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Basallo making his AA debut less than a month after his 19th birthday is so impressive. 

I wonder if he will start next year in AA, or if this is just a reward for him having a great season.

It’s funny to think that about ten days ago we were wondering if Basallo would be shut down for the season after being in the concussion protocol.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if he will start next year in AA, or if this is just a reward for him having a great season.

It’s funny to think that about ten days ago we were wondering if Basallo would be shut down for the season after being in the concussion protocol.  

It would be strange to send him back to A+ and just have him in AA now for the sake of a few more PAs this year, but I suppose they could. He did get over 100 PA in A+ and thoroughly dominated, so while it was a quick promotion it was pretty well earned. I expect he’s going to start in AA next year. 

11 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It would be strange to send him back to A+ and just have him in AA now for the sake of a few more PAs this year, but I suppose they could. He did get over 100 PA in A+ and thoroughly dominated, so while it was a quick promotion it was pretty well earned. I expect he’s going to start in AA next year. 

I can’t think of another top prospect who got the promotion, even a cup of coffee at the next level, and didn’t start there the next season.   Of course, this would go against Wildcard’s strict interpretation of 200 plate appearances!

16 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Hopefully this means they start him in AA next year and aren’t just giving him a few extra at bats to end the year.

It makes sense to not send him back to A ball anyway.

You have to imagine without a really surprisingly poor spring training next year, that he's starting in AA next year. The Orioles have not "demoted" a top prospect to a lower affiliate under the Elias regime that I can remember.