Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You have to imagine without a really surprisingly poor spring training next year, that he's starting in AA next year. The Orioles have not "demoted" a top prospect to a lower affiliate under the Elias regime that I can remember. 

Yea I can’t imagine they do it here. I said recently he should be in AA to start next year. Just no reason to have in A ball.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You have to imagine without a really surprisingly poor spring training next year, that he's starting in AA next year. The Orioles have not "demoted" a top prospect to a lower affiliate under the Elias regime that I can remember. 

I can’t say I remember it happening either.

Assuming that you and the other posters who made this point are correct, how exciting is this?  The kid is 19 in AA and will be 19 most of next season. 

I’m really looking forward to seeing how this next week goes for him in AA.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can’t say I remember it happening either.

Assuming that you and the other posters who made this point are correct, how exciting is this?  The kid is 19 in AA and will be 19 most of next season. 

Definitely helps me feel a little better about renewing my 16 undated ticket plan at Bowie, knowing it won't be a total prospect wasteland at the beginning of the season. Was concerned that he wouldn't be up until June and Bowie would not have an O's top 10 prospect until he and Bradfield were up a couple months into the season.

30 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Definitely helps me feel a little better about renewing my 16 undated ticket plan at Bowie, knowing it won't be a total prospect wasteland at the beginning of the season. Was concerned that he wouldn't be up until June and Bowie would not have an O's top 10 prospect until he and Bradfield were up a couple months into the season.

Beavers has got to be top 10 or darn close.  I happen to think Fabian is going to improve and possibly push for the top 10 as well.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Great week for the whole team to pump up their stats.  Baysox are playing the last place Harrisburg Senators.  With 6 games to go they (H.S.) don't have much to play for but individual stats.  With that being said, protect the hands from HBPs.  

#1 on Baseball America Hotsheet today. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/hot-sheet-9-12-23-samuel-basallo-keeps-getting-better/

Team: High-A Aberdeen (South Atlantic) 

Why He’s Here: .474/.545/1.105 (9-for-19), 6 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 7 RBIs, 3 BB, 3 SO, 1-for-2 SB

The Scoop: Throughout the season the 19-year-old Basallo has been a weekly fixture on the hot sheet. After cracking the Hot Sheet Top 10 last week after playing just two games, Basallo continued his hot hitting in the final week of the High Class A season. He homered in three consecutive games on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, recording six hits and seven RBIs over those three contests. Basallo’s plus-plus power is already playing in games and hinting at middle-of-the-order impact. Basallo finished the season hitting .307/.398/.547 with 20 home runs over 110 games spanning both levels of Class A. His combination of impact and plate skills is evident from his surface level stats, as Basallo struck out in just 19.9% of plate appearances while walking 12.8% of the time. (GP)

Edited by baltfan
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it was a longshot for Basallo to play in the AFL but I saw that he was drafted first overall<?> by the Licey Tigers of the Dominican Professional Baseball League.

Here's the link: Samuel Basallo

Here's the Google translation of the story:

SANTO DOMINGO (Licey.com).- The National and Caribbean Champions, Tigres del Licey, selected catcher Samuel Basallo as their first pick in the Rookie Draw of the Professional Baseball League of the Dominican Republic, held this Wednesday, December 13. September at Hard Rock Café, Blue Mall.

Basallo, 19, 6-3, 180 pounds, is the Baltimore Orioles' fifth-best prospect and No. 46 in all of baseball, according to MLB Pipeline, and has the ability to play first base.

In 2023, playing for the Bowie Baysox team, Double-A branch of said organization, he is hitting for an average of .306 with a .397 OBP, OPS of .941 with 20 home runs, 25 doubles, 84 runs produced and 73 runs scored.

The native of Santo Domingo was signed for a bonus of 1.3 million dollars in 2021 and according to the scout report, his main offensive tool is his power when connecting the ball.

Additionally, reports indicate that Basallo has a powerful arm to catch runners on the bases. The Nobel catcher is a left-handed hitter

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 86this said:

I think it was a longshot for Basallo to play in the AFL but I saw that he was drafted first overall<?> by the Licey Tigers of the Dominican Professional Baseball League.

I would guess those GM's do the same due diligence Mike Elias did with Jackson Holliday regarding signability.       

This is a few years old but gives the flavor, and even has a video of the #1 pick moment.

https://www.mlb.com/news/dominican-winter-league-draft-results

Julio Rodriguez took 64 PA one winter, but I don't see any DOWL in Wander Franco's minor league track record.

Edited by Just Regular

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I would guess those GM's do the same due diligence Mike Elias did with Jackson Holliday regarding signability.       

This is a few years old but gives the flavor, and even has a video of the #1 pick moment.

https://www.mlb.com/news/dominican-winter-league-draft-results

Julio Rodriguez took 64 PA one winter, but I don't see any DOWL in Wander Franco's minor league track record.

I would think they would have an idea of whether he wanted to play winter ball before using that pick on him.   Facing some AAA and ML type pitchers would be a great experience for him.   Better than the AFL, IMO.

Edited by RZNJ