Where's Nick hit?

Moose Milligan

I think a lot of us pencil Nick in at the 3 spot, but lets look at these numbers for his career:

I Split          G   GS    PA    AB    R    H   2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB  IBB  SO  HBP  SH  SF ROE GDP  SB   CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS  BAbip tOPS+ Split+-+------------+----+----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+----+----+---+----+---+---+---+---+---+----+---+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+  Batting 2nd   114  112   517   446   90  147  38   1  19   75   65   3   68   2   0   4   3  10    6   4  .330  .414  .547  .961  .353   125 Batting 2nd    Batting 3rd   243  241  1071   950  141  267  60   3  34  146  112  10  175   5   1   3  10  27   22   8  .281  .359  .458  .817  .313    92 

Granted he's spent a lot more time hitting #3, but it's not like it's exactly a small sample size batting #2.

Last year it seemed that Trembley would move him to the #2 hole to effectively jump start his bat...and it worked. Batting 2nd last year he hit .345/.439/.534 in 72 games. IMO, the dilemma here is that it's a lot of power to put at the #2 spot.

So knowing this...if you're Trembley, do you start him off at #2 when the season begins?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a lot of us pencil Nick in at the 3 spot, but lets look at these numbers for his career:
I Split          G   GS    PA    AB    R    H   2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB  IBB  SO  HBP  SH  SF ROE GDP  SB   CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS  BAbip tOPS+ Split+-+------------+----+----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+----+----+---+----+---+---+---+---+---+----+---+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+  Batting 2nd   114  112   517   446   90  147  38   1  19   75   65   3   68   2   0   4   3  10    6   4  .330  .414  .547  .961  .353   125 Batting 2nd    Batting 3rd   243  241  1071   950  141  267  60   3  34  146  112  10  175   5   1   3  10  27   22   8  .281  .359  .458  .817  .313    92 

Granted he's spent a lot more time hitting #3, but it's not like it's exactly a small sample size batting #2.

Last year it seemed that Trembley would move him to the #2 hole to effectively jump start his bat...and it worked. Batting 2nd last year he hit .345/.439/.534. IMO, the dilemma here is that it's a lot of power to put at the #2 spot.

So knowing this...if you're Trembley, do you put him at #2 for the year and leave him there?

Two. We need to find Three and Four somewhere. Nick's speed and baserunning ablility, along with his inate baseball sense make him a perfect Two.

If he shows he has 35 Home Run power I change my vote ;)

I think you need to take those splits with a grain of salt. Nick batted 3rd during almost all of 2007 and knocked in 112 runs. He can hit 3rd, no question. However, last year's lineup was very potent with him batting 2nd and that's where I'd start him out this year.

I would bat him #2 or maybe even #1 if we deal BRob.

I like Wieters in the #3 spot.

I read a BA article sometime in the last six months in which the author said he didn't think Weiters would cut it as a #3 hitter because he has difficulty hitting balls that are up in the zone.

Also said that Weiters would be the ideal #5 hitter, even #4 if he proved he had enough power.

A switch hitter in the three hole is a wonderful thing.

I suspect the fact that we have a lot of lefties (and BRob) might factor in this decision more than anything. I know Trembley didn't have much of a choice other than to hit Roberts, Markakis and Huff all in a row last year; and we have essentially the same personnel this year for the top of the lineup.

I can't help but think we'll move Adam Jones up to the two spot.

I think you need to take those splits with a grain of salt. Nick batted 3rd during almost all of 2007 and knocked in 112 runs. He can hit 3rd, no question. However, last year's lineup was very potent with him batting 2nd and that's where I'd start him out this year.

Very true...however the difference in last years numbers are pretty drastic, I'm wondering what changed.

I suspect the fact that we have a lot of lefties (and BRob) might factor in this decision more than anything. I know Trembley didn't have much of a choice other than to hit Roberts, Markakis and Huff all in a row last year; and we have essentially the same personnel this year for the top of the lineup.

I'd try Nick #2, Adam at #3. You could always flip flop them if it proved ineffective.

But does Jones really warrant that right now? I like him, but its not like the guy is an on base machine just yet.

I understand it would be nice to put him near the top to help him get better pitches to hit, but his plate discipline isn't that great.

Man, it's nice to talk about what we can do with our talent... :D

But does Jones really warrant that right now? I like him, but its not like the guy is an on base machine just yet.

I understand it would be nice to put him near the top to help him get better pitches to hit, but his plate discipline isn't that great.

Man, it's nice to talk about what we can do with our talent... :D

I agree with you. I'm not sure Trembley agrees with us. Just a hunch dude.

Archived