Where's Nick hit?

Moose Milligan

I don't think putting Jones at number 2 is the best move, so I definitely don't think putting him at 3 is a good idea at all.

I think Jones eventually proves to us that he can hit enough to stay at the top of the order. He was in a nice grove just before he broke his foot last year.

The power will come eventually, and even if he doesn't hit #3, I definitely see him hitting at #2.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a lot of us pencil Nick in at the 3 spot, but lets look at these numbers for his career:
I Split          G   GS    PA    AB    R    H   2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB  IBB  SO  HBP  SH  SF ROE GDP  SB   CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS  BAbip tOPS+ Split+-+------------+----+----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+----+----+---+----+---+---+---+---+---+----+---+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+  Batting 2nd   114  112   517   446   90  147  38   1  19   75   65   3   68   2   0   4   3  10    6   4  .330  .414  .547  .961  .353   125 Batting 2nd    Batting 3rd   243  241  1071   950  141  267  60   3  34  146  112  10  175   5   1   3  10  27   22   8  .281  .359  .458  .817  .313    92 

Granted he's spent a lot more time hitting #3, but it's not like it's exactly a small sample size batting #2.

Last year it seemed that Trembley would move him to the #2 hole to effectively jump start his bat...and it worked. Batting 2nd last year he hit .345/.439/.534 in 72 games. IMO, the dilemma here is that it's a lot of power to put at the #2 spot.

So knowing this...if you're Trembley, do you start him off at #2 when the season begins?

I'd ignore all of those numbers, ask Mr. Markakis where he'd like to hit, where he feels most comfortable. Whatever his response, mine would be "Giddyup!"

Very true...however the difference in last years numbers are pretty drastic, I'm wondering what changed.

I have seen this discussed before on here, and wonder why Markakis has to be analyzed to death over and over? :confused::scratchchinhmm:

My take on it doesn't involve anything mysterious nor does it need a whole bunch of numerical calculations and theories. I think he simply cannot handle the pressure of being the best hitter in a lineup which as any baseball fan knows is traditonally assigned to the number three hitter. In other words, Nick cannot handle being "The Man" and the pressure that goes with it. Apparently he lacks confidence in that role.

Ergo, let him hit second until Roberts departs and then move him to leadoff, unless of course somehow his power takes a big jump from being mediocre.

I think a lot of us pencil Nick in at the 3 spot, but lets look at these numbers for his career:
I Split          G   GS    PA    AB    R    H   2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB  IBB  SO  HBP  SH  SF ROE GDP  SB   CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS  BAbip tOPS+ Split+-+------------+----+----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+----+----+---+----+---+---+---+---+---+----+---+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+  Batting 2nd   114  112   517   446   90  147  38   1  19   75   65   3   68   2   0   4   3  10    6   4  .330  .414  .547  .961  .353   125 Batting 2nd    Batting 3rd   243  241  1071   950  141  267  60   3  34  146  112  10  175   5   1   3  10  27   22   8  .281  .359  .458  .817  .313    92 

Granted he's spent a lot more time hitting #3, but it's not like it's exactly a small sample size batting #2.

Last year it seemed that Trembley would move him to the #2 hole to effectively jump start his bat...and it worked. Batting 2nd last year he hit .345/.439/.534 in 72 games. IMO, the dilemma here is that it's a lot of power to put at the #2 spot.

So knowing this...if you're Trembley, do you start him off at #2 when the season begins?

I'm thinking more long term -- Ideally, assuming Jones/Pie/Wieters all work out, I would like Markakis batting second, Wieters batting 3rd, Jones batting 6th (not enough contact to be a #1 or 2) and Pie batting 7th. If Reimold fits in as a 1B or DH then he's my preferred 4 or 5 hitter, depending on his contact rate as a MLer (again, if he gets a shot and can stick). If Snyder can produce fringe-above-average power then he's my #5 guy. So, using in-house people and assuming reasonable projection, 2010/11 would be something like:

Roberts, 2B

Markakis, RF

Wieters, C

Reimold, DH

Snyder, 1B

Jones, LF

Pie, CF

??? 3B

??? SS

Again ideally, Miclat is ready to take over lead-off from Roberts if he hits his ceiling -- still a ways off. Ditto with Rowell being a ways off, but there is at least a body at each slot with some legit projection. Little to no chance everyone hits their ceiling, but we can dream. :)

I have seen this discussed before on here, and wonder why Markakis has to be analyzed to death over and over? :confused::scratchchinhmm:

My take on it doesn't involve anything mysterious nor does it need a whole bunch of numerical calculations and theories. I think he simply cannot handle the pressure of being the best hitter in a lineup which as any baseball fan knows is traditonally assigned to the number three hitter. In other words, Nick cannot handle being "The Man" and the pressure that goes with it. Apparently he lacks confidence in that role.

Ergo, let him hit second until Roberts departs and then move him to leadoff, unless of course somehow his power takes a big jump from being mediocre.

Yeah, but maybe then he can't handle the pressure of batting leadoff and setting the table for that #3 hitter.

:rolleyes:

I like him in the 3-hole behind Mora. Eventually I want him and Wieters back-to-back, whether that is 2-3, 3-4, or whatever. Having two guys who should have .400+ OBP back-to-back with very good power will be great for the total runs scored.

I think Jones eventually proves to us that he can hit enough to stay at the top of the order. He was in a nice grove just before he broke his foot last year.

The power will come eventually, and even if he doesn't hit #3, I definitely see him hitting at #2.

Once he gets himself sorted out a little bit, I think AJ could end up being perfect for #5 according to Bill James dual criteria:

* Power for when he comes up with men on base in the 1st;

* Speed-and-decent OBP for when he leads off the 2nd.

I'm thinking more long term -- Ideally, assuming Jones/Pie/Wieters all work out, I would like Markakis batting second, Wieters batting 3rd, Jones batting 6th (not enough contact to be a #1 or 2) and Pie batting 7th. If Reimold fits in as a 1B or DH then he's my preferred 4 or 5 hitter, depending on his contact rate as a MLer (again, if he gets a shot and can stick). If Snyder can produce fringe-above-average power then he's my #5 guy. So, using in-house people and assuming reasonable projection, 2010/11 would be something like:

Roberts, 2B

Markakis, RF

Wieters, C

Reimold, DH

Snyder, 1B

Jones, LF

Pie, CF

??? 3B

??? SS

Again ideally, Miclat is ready to take over lead-off from Roberts if he hits his ceiling -- still a ways off. Ditto with Rowell being a ways off, but there is at least a body at each slot with some legit projection. Little to no chance everyone hits their ceiling, but we can dream. :)

I know you're using our in-house guys as possible players, but with the eroding prospects of reimold getting a shot this season, i don't know how confident the FO is that he will turn in to a #4 hitter for us. IMO, if Nick and Matt don't fill the 3/4 holes (of course nick might have to fill leadoff) then we'll still be a couple position players from a good core lineup.

Does anyone have a legit projection for Reimold? Its impossible to really tell with his lack of MLB playing time, but maybe what do people think his best projection/probable projection is? I was under the impression he was a 6/7 hole guy

In other words, he hit 25 hrs last season, but is he really a #4?

I really think this team still lacks a true cleanup hitter...

Kevin Millar is still available... :rofl:

God what a joke that was.

Huff will be our cleanup hitter in 2009. 2010 is anybody's guess.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Wieters hit cleanup in 2010 as I think he'll be our best all around hitter by the end of the season.

I suspect the fact that we have a lot of lefties (and BRob) might factor in this decision more than anything. I know Trembley didn't have much of a choice other than to hit Roberts, Markakis and Huff all in a row last year; and we have essentially the same personnel this year for the top of the lineup.

I can't help but think we'll move Adam Jones up to the two spot.

I don't know what the stats show from last year, but it seemed that the lineup was very good when Jones batted # 2 and Kakes #3. Maybe it was because Jones was a rookie and not that selfish (batting behind Roberts) willing to move a guy over when needed and has the speed to lay down a bunt, and not be only a sacrifice. I thought baseball logic says that your # 3 hitter should be the best "all around" hitter on the team. I think that has Kakes picture all over it, but I think the bigger question for the lineup later this year is where Weiters bats. I think that will have a trickle down effect on the batting order.

I really think this team still lacks a true cleanup hitter....If only Tex was still a FA! :D

But in all seriousness, I see Markakis at #1 or #2...I see Wieters as a #3 hitter...Jones as a #5 or #6 guy.

We need another serious bat in the middle of the lineup.

I don't know what you consider a "true" # 4 hitter, but Huff's numbers says that we have one. As a side note, moving forward, if Huff has another year like last year and the market does not improve that much, we will have that same # 4 hitter after he gets an extension.

Archived