Rays 2023

SteveA

When the (Devil) Rays started play in the 90's, I used to dislike them as they were a last-place team that always played the O's very tough (as if it was their playoffs). As time has gone by, I have seen them play the entire AL East very tough, and now they have become a truly elite organization. I have to tip my hat to them, they take it to the Yankees and Red Sox regularly on a shoestring budget.  

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Can you imagine if Grayson Rodriguez's performances were deGrom-adjacent, but Elias was still demoting him after each turn to stream an extra Arm Barn guy for the intervening few games?

That's pretty much what's happening with Taj Bradley.

Not the same thing but it brought me to mind when the O's demoted Chen to get an extra bullpen arm up one year.

Chen was reportedly very unhappy about it.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not the same thing but it brought me to mind when the O's demoted Chen to get an extra bullpen arm up one year.

Chen was reportedly very unhappy about it.

Wasn't that leading up to the All-Star break anyways and Chen's turn wasn't up until several days after the break? It kinda made sense from a team perspective, but I get being unhappy about it. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

They stole 5 bases off Alek Manoah this afternoon, who only lasted 3 innings.

It never feels the best to benefit from another's misfortune, but something seems wrong there.

He strikes me as someone that would not respond well to the stolen bases.

Rays are actually "only" 13-10 on the road.   And they have played 32 home games to just 23 road games.   They start a 13 game road trip today, their longest of the year.   A chance maybe for them to come back to the pack a bit in the AL East.

• 3 weeks later...

Rays are playing .800 ball at home, 31-7.  That equates to 64-17 for the season. That is just absurd IMO. Has any team, historically, been that good at home? It seems so much an outlier that I wonder about a little home cooking going on.

• 2 weeks later...