The 2023 attendance thread

Frobby

12 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I feel for the fans but that’s beside the point 

Isn't that exactly the point? The (currently) bad team is getting a ton of attention because of the relocation drama? I'm a bit confused by what you're getting at here.

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

I have a crazy idea.  Maybe the billionaire owner of the team could build his own stadium.

Unfortunately owners use cities for their benefit. Angelis family is worth $2 billion and the state gave them if they sign the lease $600 million. The MSA paid for the new wall by reducing the Orioles rent  

On 6/14/2023 at 1:30 PM, dystopia said:

I’ve never seen a bad team get so much attention and adoration. 

Well, if you look beyond the last year and a half, they've placed 2nd, 2nd, 1st, and 3rd in their division between between 2018 and 2021, 3 times going to the playoffs. They are historically bad this year, but they have overcome their budget odds and crappy stadium to still be more successful than the Orioles have, so I think this is a bit of a simplistic shortsided take. 

Edited by CharmCityHokie

35 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Well, if you look beyond the last year and a half, they've placed 2nd, 2nd, 1st, and 3rd in their division between between 2018 and 2021, 3 times going to the playoffs. They are historically bad this year, but they have overcome their budget odds and crappy stadium to still be more successful than the Orioles have, so I think this is a bit of a simplistic shortsided take. 

Go join the A's message board and buy their gear if you love them so much.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Go join the A's message board and buy their gear if you love them so much.

Why exactly are you mad about this? 

Also, it's obvious why the current A's situation is getting attention. It's newsworthy any time a pro sports team moves or seriously considers moving, and an MLB team hasn't moved in almost 20 years. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2023 at 12:59 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think a team in Vegas is going to average 27K a game once the novelty wears off?

I don't.

I've been following this for a few years, and I don't think anyone knows what attendance would by like in Las Vegas. Everything else has done well. Not just football and hockey, but boxing, basketball tournaments, everything has worked pretty well so far. Baseball is kind of the ultimate challenge, though a roof and the shorter game times shouls help.

But the 27,000 a game doesn't mean anything as a comparison to Oakland. Without a new stadium, the A's aren't about to draw anything like that in Oakland. (The last time their average attendance was over 27,000 was 2004.) Having burned their bridges in Oakland, the A's obviously think LV is the most promising choice for relocation. I don't know why they picked LV rather than a more normal big city like Portland or San Antonio. It could be politics: John Fisher, the A's owner, has a background as a Republican and anti-Obama supporter, and maybe he just prefers being in Las Vegas. But there's no doubt that major league baseball in LV might not work.

Interrupting the Vegas/Oakland conversation we find the Blue Jays series drawing Tue nt. 16,018 , Wed nt. 16,083 , Thurs afternoon w/ giveaway 22,555.   54,656 total for series.  (18,218 average)  We are really taking baby steps here considering schools out, weather great, important divisional opponent.

(Sorry @Frobbymissed your post amidst the hijack!).  

Edited by JimGinSP
Tip of cap to Frobby

On 6/14/2023 at 1:15 PM, Pickles said:

I have a crazy idea.  Maybe the billionaire owner of the team could build his own stadium.

Even if a team wanted to pay for a new ballpark, without public money, MLB might not permit that.

From April 2022, and there were lots of reports at the time saying pretty much the same thing:  

Manfred, however, also has signaled to Gov. Sisolak and the A’s that he will not approve the move unless Nevada provides some public financing for a $1 billion-plus, 30,000-seat, domed stadium. That’s because Manfred does not want to set a bad precedent for other owners looking to negotiate their own new stadium deals, sources said.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/08/baseball-team-oakland-as-move-to-las-vegas-could-be-blocked/

Isn't it reassuring to know that the Commissioner is working hard to protect the interests of baseball fans?

3 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

And yet they still can't get anyone to come to the games. Since 2013, the highest they ranked in attendance was 9th in the AL. The vast majority of the time, they're dead last.

1 hour ago, ledzepp8 said:

And yet they still can't get anyone to come to the games. Since 2013, the highest they ranked in attendance was 9th in the AL. The vast majority of the time, they're dead last.

Part of the reason for that is because fans are disillusioned by their favorite players always moving on too quickly. 

They have no one they can identify with their favorite team and cheer for.

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Part of the reason for that is because fans are disillusioned by their favorite players always moving on too quickly. 

They have no one they can identify with their favorite team and cheer for.

Could be. Or it could be that no one attends the games and the team doesn’t make any money to be used to pay their favorite players. Since 2000 they’ve averaged 11th in the AL in attendance. 

28 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

Could be. Or it could be that no one attends the games and the team doesn’t make any money to be used to pay their favorite players. Since 2000 they’ve averaged 11th in the AL in attendance. 

And yet that's the same timeline when Billy Bean's Money Ball tactics have been in use. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The A's used to have a dynasty with Ricky Henderson, Dennis Eckersly,  Mark MacGuire, Jose Canseco, Tony LaRussa, and on and on and on. They never had any trouble with attendance in those days.

But I digress. This thread is supposed to be about the Orioles attendance numbers. It's getting derailed.