The 2023 attendance thread

Frobby

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Attendance today ,Thursday vs. Oakland is 11,665. So drew 43,473  for the series.

So, about 3,000/game more than the identical series in 2019.  Not awful by the standards of recent years, but still pretty crappy considering the nice weather this week.  

I looked at our attendance form last year hoping it was much improved, but we were still at the bottom 5 in the league. I don't know how we can expect to get some of the best free agents if our attendance is always so low.

I think what the team needs in order to build more fan support (besides winning) is a home grown superstar/face of the franchise like Cal Ripken was. Even when the Orioles had bad years, people still wanted to go see their favorite Oriole (Cal Ripken) play. Heck, some people went just to go see Brady Anderson and Brady Anderson was just an average player, but he was a long tenured Oriole that fans liked.

In this generation, I think the man to fill the Cal Ripken superstar role is Adley Rutschman and the Front Office should do whatever they need to do to make it happen long term and keep him as the leader of the franchise.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Detroit series:

• Friday 18,772
  • Saturday 12,194
  • Sunday 36,975

Total 67,941 (22,647 average)

I was shocked that the crowd today was that big.  It was way more full than usual, but I would have guessed 30,000.  We only had two bigger crowds all last year — one on Opening Day, and one against the Pirates on a Saturday night in August  (a concert night maybe?).

This weekend drew about 12 k more than a weekend series we had with Boston last April.   Good sign.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was shocked that the crowd today was that big.  It was way more full than usual, but I would have guessed 30,000.  We only had two bigger crowds all last year — one on Opening Day, and one against the Pirates on a Saturday night in August  (a concert night maybe?).

This weekend drew about 12 k more than a weekend series we had with Boston last April.   Good sign.  

Today was some kind of Little League and Softball day (I guess to be politically correct) for the kids. I think that may explain the sudden spike. Plus fairly decent weather for the start of the game. 

You are correct about the Saturday night against Pitt last year. It was a concert and I think some old rapper or something. It was also when we were playing well. 

4 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

You are correct about the Saturday night against Pitt last year. It was a concert and I think some old rapper or something. It was also when we were playing well. 

It was also the 30th anniversary of Camden Yards game with throwback pricing. One of the best crowds I’ve experienced. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Was about 25,000 kids in the upper deck. Lines were long and slow. Saw one cotton  candy vendor but no beer vendors ,etc. Ran out of paper towels in the bathroom in the fifth and never refilled. Did anyone get a MLB cap? Saw a few people with them but got in at 12:38 and saw no boxes that they were distributed. Something strange with that and was for 15 and over. I don't need one but whatever.

Edited by Going Underground
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Was about 25,000 kids in the upper deck. Lines were long and slow. Saw one cotton  candy vendor but no beer vendors ,etc. Ran out of paper towels in the bathroom in the fifth and never refilled. Did anyone get a MLB cap? Saw a few people with them but got in at 12:38 and saw no boxes that they were distributed. Something strange with that and was for 15 and over. I don't need one but whatever.

Wait...they had a hat giveaway for fans 15 and over on the same day it was Little League day?  That is f-ed up.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

My cousin and his wife took my little cousin today. A blast was had by all, and they have very cute video of him running the bases. 

I think Levy and the Orioles are in a bit of a catch-22 with staffing. You want to have enough food and staff on hand for a big crowd, because it makes for a better experience and people are more likely to come back. However, if you prep for 30,000 and 15,000 show up, it's a major money loss. And the 30,000+ crowds are the anomaly. 

This team is fun to watch though, and I hope they start to see more consistent higher attendance. If so, hopefully Levy and the Orioles have a plan for it if it occurs (who am I kidding - no chance)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Today was some kind of Little League and Softball day (I guess to be politically correct) for the kids. I think that may explain the sudden spike. Plus fairly decent weather for the start of the game. 

I'd rather hope they are acting out of self-interest to grow their fan base among females by engaging girls who are playing a very similar sport.  

• Upvote 2