Cedric Mullins 2023

interloper

Cedric now leading all regulars in OPS and is also the team leader in fWar and bWar.  He looks like 2021 Mullins at the plate, all while playing a terrific CF.  And I'll say, the catch probabilities reported on some of these catches he's made are enough to make me seriously question the stat.

He's been fantastic this season.

33 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Cedric now leading all regulars in OPS and is also the team leader in fWar and bWar.  He looks like 2021 Mullins at the plate, all while playing a terrific CF.  And I'll say, the catch probabilities reported on some of these catches he's made are enough to make me seriously question the stat.

He's been fantastic this season.

I think he’s better than 2021. 2021 was helped out so much by the 30 homers, which I think was unsustainable and I think that hurt him in 2022. This year he is just trying to hit the ball and not worrying about trying to hit homers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s the team MVP with or without Adley, at least so far.

Mullins is 9th in fWAR in all of the majors.

He has been great. 

You’re looking at it from a WAR perspective which is fine. But Adley plays a tougher position and literally can’t get a full day off. If he’s not behind the plate, he’s DHing. And if he’s on the bench, he’s inevitably coming in to pinch hit at some point either for whoever’s DHing or McCann, and then he’s gotta catch the rest of the game. 

No one on the team is demanded more from. 

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You’re looking at it from a WAR perspective which is fine. But Adley plays a tougher position and literally can’t get a full day off. If he’s not behind the plate, he’s DHing. And if he’s on the bench, he’s inevitably coming in to pinch hit at some point either for whoever’s DHing or McCann, and then he’s gotta catch the rest of the game. 

No one on the team is demanded more from. 

Mullins hasn’t had a full day off yet either iirc.

Adley’s importance is immense but Mullins has been the better player so far.

He's playing much better than I expected.   I honestly expected more regression from the 2021 season, and thought we'd see numbers worse than he had last year.   To this point he's vastly exceeding my expectations and is having a fabulous year.   He's a huge part of the reason we have been winning and I hope he continues this all year. 

I’m not too worried about who the team MVP is through 47 games.  Mullins is playing great baseball right now and let’s hope that continues.  

Mullins had a great year in 2021 but he faded down the stretch a little.  He had a .921 OPS at the all star break, .822 afterwards.  So, it’s a long year and we’ll see how everything goes.  

As to Adley, I just have this sense that he has another gear offensively that we really haven’t seen yet. He’s got such a disciplined approach, but he doesn’t always punish the truly fat pitches when he gets them.  I feel like one day — not necessarily this year, but in the next year or so — he’s going to explode into an absolute monster.   Until then, I’m quite satisfied with the current version and his .400 OBP/134 OPS+.   

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

He's playing much better than I expected.   I honestly expected more regression from the 2021 season, and thought we'd see numbers worse than he had last year.   To this point he's vastly exceeding my expectations and is having a fabulous year.   He's a huge part of the reason we have been winning and I hope he continues this all year. 

I expected something similar to what we saw last year. His ability to hit lefties this year has been the difference maker.