Austin Voth 2023

HakunaSakata

3 minutes ago, CaptDbog said:

I would DFA Voth when Bradish comes back. Move Wells to the bullpen and keep Grod in the rotation.  I don't think Voth will get claimed.  Even if Voth gets claimed, is it a big loss? I don't think so. 

That very well could be what they decide to do, but I think people are overreacting over a few bad pitches made when he was put in situations that he's not good at.

Elias doesn't like to risk guys so Gillaspie could also be optioned while Voth figures it out or at least is used in fresh innings as a bulk reliever where he's better.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, CaptDbog said:

I would DFA Voth when Bradish comes back. Move Wells to the bullpen and keep Grod in the rotation.  I don't think Voth will get claimed.  Even if Voth gets claimed, is it a big loss? I don't think so. 

I think Grayson goes back down. He still isn’t himself.  

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think Grayson goes back down. He still isn’t himself.  

I agree that he isn't himself.  I think the O's have two options with Grayson right now: 1. Let him work out his issues in the majors and have more time with Holt. 2. Option Grayson down to AAA and let him work it out.  I personally would have Grayson stay up and work things out. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That very well could be what they decide to do, but I think people are overreacting over a few bad pitches made when he was put in situations that he's not good at.

Elias doesn't like to risk guys so Gillaspie could also be optioned while Voth figures it out or at least is used in fresh innings as a bulk reliever where he's better.

I agree with your points.  It's still very early in the season.  I am a little concerned that Voth has shown a consistent bad streak since spring training.  

28 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

The only problem with Watkins and Zimmermann, 30 and 28, respectively, is they’ve never had success in the big leagues, despite being given multiple years and 150 innings to do so. 

That's fair. And, to clarify, I don't think Watkins and Zimmerman are the solution to all our problems.

But Voth is still the oldest of the three (not by much) and has had the most opportunities in the big leagues (over 100 innings more than Watkins or Zimmerman). So if he continues to pitch poorly and either of the other two continue to pitch well in Norfolk, I say why not give em a shot.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hope not.  He needs to figure some things out at the major league level.

He deserves more rope.

It could be a tough call.  I’m hoping for a better start this Sunday.  

Last night, Grayson pitched to 23 batters.  He got to two strikes on 18 of them.  That’s pretty astounding.  On those 18:

- 6 strikeouts

- 4 walks 

- 6 hits

- 2 batted ball outs

Every single baserunner he allowed was on a 2-strike count.   The two RBI singles were soft liners at 81.4 and 79.9 mph.

What I’m saying is, he struggled, but also wasn’t far from being dominant.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last night, Grayson pitched to 23 batters.  He got to two strikes on 18 of them.  That’s pretty astounding.  On those 18:

- 6 strikeouts

- 4 walks 

- 6 hits

- 2 batted ball outs

Every single baserunner he allowed was on a 2-strike count.   The two RBI singles were soft liners at 81.4 and 79.9 mph.

I think he should go back down.

At the end of the day they sent him back to AAA for a reason. Now a line drive off the foot of Bradish changes things? That’s the part I don’t get. Nobody questions his talent. Let him get into a groove with his command at AAA and then bring him back up. 

Either way they can’t yo-yo him back and forth. 

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

- 6 strikeouts

- 4 walks 

- 6 hits

- 2 batted ball outs

4 walks and 6 hits from 2 strike counts is pretty far from being dominant. And that was against a poor lineup.

10 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Who leaves the rotation ?

For starters, how about one of the less talented SPs with a 9+ ERA? As bad as you think Rodriguez has been, he's been significantly better than Bradish and Irvin and his ERA would still be in the mid 4s if Brandon Hyde hadn't brought in Voth last night. 

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Voth has given up runs in every single one of his appearances. And it's not like he has a long track record of success that merits giving him a long least. Aside from last season he's largely been a terrible MLB pitcher. And I don't see a path on this team for him as a starter it seems like it's time to cut our losses and move on. They should have carried DL Hall on the roster (as a reliever) to start the season and this would give them an easy excuse to correct that mistake. 

11 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

It seems like every time Voth comes in from the pen he struggles in his first few batters and then settles in around his second inning. Maybe he just works better as a spot starter? 

Either way, he's been terrible. I'm tired of it. I'd rather watch DL Hall or Spencer Watkins (2.70 ERA in Norfolk) or maybe even Bruce Zimmeraman (3.86 ERA in Norfolk). I just don't have much hope left for Voth. He's almost 31, he's got a 5 ERA and a 1.4 WHIP for his career.

I know this is a bit of an overreaction, but what ever.

I don't think it's an overreaction at all. Voth's career has largely been awful and he really doesn't any semblance of success (outside of last season) so I really don't under the sentiment about giving him more rope / time to iron things out. It's time to move on. As you pointed out, we have plenty of other options waiting in the wings. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Voth has given up runs in every single one of his appearances. And it's not like he has a long track record of success that merits giving him a long least. Aside from last season he's largely been a terrible MLB pitcher. And I don't see a path on this team for him as a starter it seems like it's time to cut our losses and move on. They should have carried DL Hall on the roster (as a reliever) to start the season and this would give them an easy excuse to correct that mistake. 

A lot of inaccuracies and hyperbole in this post. I'm not saying Voth is not replaceable, but I'm not ready to throw him away yet.